Found New Hardware

Every time I start up a window appears stating 'Found New Hardware'. It asks
me to click on the Installation Wizard to install the Printer which in fact
has already been installed since having the computer and works well. Is there
any way I can stop this happening every time I start up?

Gordon

Larry said:
Every time I start up a window appears stating 'Found New Hardware'. It
asks
me to click on the Installation Wizard to install the Printer which in
fact
has already been installed since having the computer and works well. Is
there
any way I can stop this happening every time I start up?

What make of printer?

RalfG

The device isn't being recognised, which suggests the driver installation is
corrupt. First try plugging the printer into a different USB port in case
some other conflict is involved. If that makes no difference, uninstall the
HP drivers, disconnect the printer, reboot. Reinstall the printer driver as
per HP's instructions and then attach the printer.

Have done as you suggested but the Window is still appearing.
Anything further that I can try?

Newtechie

Hi Larry,

When that window appears again, there should be a box that says "do not show
this again" or something to that affect. Put a check mark in it and click
on. Reboot and see what happens.

HTH,
Wy

This window is the Found New Hardware Wizard and asks you to install the
Printer or Cancel - there is no box to tick.

RalfG

You can try doing a System Restore to the point just prior to when you first
tried installing the printer. Then reinstall it following the HP
instructions explicitly.

If that still doesn't work there are some troubleshooting steps from HP
here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...a&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1146332&dlc=en&lang=en>> "Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> > Have done as you suggested but the Window is still appearing.>> > Anything further that I can try?>> > -->> > Larry>> >>> >>> > "RalfG" wrote:>> >>> >> The device isn't being recognised, which suggests the driverinstallation>> >> is>> >> corrupt. First try plugging the printer into a different USB port in>> >> case>> >> some other conflict is involved. If that makes no difference,uninstall>> >> the>> >> HP drivers, disconnect the printer, reboot. Reinstall the printerdriver>> >> as>> >> per HP's instructions and then attach the printer.>> >>>> >> "Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> >> >> > Have installed the latest Driver but it has made no difference!>> >> > -->> >> > Larry>> >> >>> >> >>> >> > "Gordon" wrote:>> >> >>> >> >> "Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> >> >> >> >> > The printer is an All-in-One HP Photosmart C3100>> >> >>>> >> >> Have you made sure you have the very latest driver from the HP>> >> >> website?>> >> >>>> >> >>>> >> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>>>>

sdlomi2

Larry said:
Every time I start up a window appears stating 'Found New Hardware'. It
asks
me to click on the Installation Wizard to install the Printer which in
fact
has already been installed since having the computer and works well. Is
there
any way I can stop this happening every time I start up?

Have you "upgraded" to Internet Exp. 7.0? If so, HP has like critical
updates to resolve issues. Also has same for Vista-users. HTH, s

sdlomi2

Larry said:
Every time I start up a window appears stating 'Found New Hardware'. It
asks
me to click on the Installation Wizard to install the Printer which in
fact
has already been installed since having the computer and works well. Is
there
any way I can stop this happening every time I start up?

Try one more thing: Control Panel>Printer>right-click on
printer>left-click on properties>dropdown under "port">is it set to "USB
virtual printer port for..."? s

Searched for critical Updates but as I have the |latest driver there are none
available
Have checked the Ports and it is set to USB Virtual Printer Port. Do you
suggest leaving it or unticking it?

sdlomi2

Larry said:
Searched for critical Updates but as I have the |latest driver there are
none
available
Have checked the Ports and it is set to USB Virtual Printer Port. Do you
suggest leaving it or unticking it?
I'd leave it there--that's where my 2410 defaults to. s

Newtechie

Ok - I left out a step. Try installing it again and when you get to that
last window (cannot continue the hardware update wizard or something like
that) there should be a box to tick "Do not show this window again". This
happened to me a couple weeks ago when I installed a Dell USB keyboard and
it asked me to install the driver for it but the keyboard worked just fine.
After numerous attempts to install the driver, I finally saw that little box
and decided to check it. When I rebooted the computer it no longer
appeared.

Regards,
Wy

Larry - HP's are notorious for being a pain to install if not done properly.

Suggest this:

1) USB connection is plugged in, now uninstall the printer from Printers and
Faxes.
2) Uninstall the HP software.
3) Unplug the USB cable and reboot.
4) Get the original software for installing that printer from HP's website
or the disc that came with the printer.
* KEEP THE PRINTER UNPLUGGED FROM THE PC UNTIL THE SOFTWARE ASKS FOR IT.
This is the part that will screw up an installation most every time - the
printer is plugged in before the software asks for it.
* when instructed to plug the printer in, do it - again, NOT BEFORE.
* Once the installation is complete, reboot. (You gotta 'reset' Windows,
you know??)

Now see if it comes up again - hopefully it wont!

NHL

I have already done as you suggest but to no effect!
I should point out that this actually started when I had a new computer but
was still using the old Printer HP845C. Eventually I installed the new
printer but the wizard continued to appear!