Forum Upgrade

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ah yes, the smilies editor does disappear once the text editor is made active again - I thought it disappeared once the smilie was clicked. I get you now :).

Unfortunately, that's how the new editor works and isn't something I'm able to change. However, it looks like quite a few other people on the developer forums aren't 100% happy with how the new system works, so it could well be tweaked soon enough to revert back to the old way.
Good, not just me then. :)

You're quite right, Ian, about me still using IE. I really must get away from it but it just feels so comfortable . I will move into the modern age and change, I promise. ;)

I've just noticed something else. The Bold, Italics and Underline icons at the top do not change when they are "on" so there's no easy indication of their status (until you've typed something and then you notice). This seems a retrograde step.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really happy with Chrome, but all the current main browsers seem pretty good these days :).

Yep, the Bold/Italic/Underline etc... icons aren't very visible, I'll work on fixing this too. May take a few days, as I need a break from any non-essential coding for a bit :lol:.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
@Ian with regards to the push notifications, is that for all posts ( new ) or just ones that we may have relied to ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Ian,

I've been away all weekend so only just got to see the new forum, it looks great! I'm really liking the new design tweaks, very modern. :)

Glad it all went without issue. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It works :)

So, IE no good no more eh? I know MS have always been trying to get me to switch to Edge but when I last tried Edge it was a bit rubbish and it also had more MS spying in it than IE.

But, some things come to an end - like Winamp for instance - so I suppose I'll try Edge again or maybe switch to Opera for good.

But as good as Opera may be I can't get my head round their bookmarks system. We shall see.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have switched to Edge but don't like the Favourites panel which apparently HAS to be on the right side (I prefer the left side) and cannot be narrowed down like it could in IE. It therefore takes up a fair proportion of the screen whereas in IE I had it as a very narrow strip only. :(

Well, I suppose I'll just have to accept it and eventually it will become the norm. :cry:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would it improve things if you used the favourites bar, instead of the side strip? I have a favourites bar which shows several folders, meaning it's quick to visit any site and yet takes up minimal space :). In Edge, you need to go to the cog on the favourites strip and then check "show the favourites bar". Thought it was worth mentioning, just in case :D.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I assume that you mean that you have the favourites running across near the top of the screen. I have Show The Favourites Bar on and this reveals a bar at the top but I can't get anything to show in it. It suggests dragging items from the Favourites panel but nothing will drag across. I'm obviously doing something wrong. :blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I assume that you mean that you have the favourites running across near the top of the screen. I have Show The Favourites Bar on and this reveals a bar at the top but I can't get anything to show in it. It suggests dragging items from the Favourites panel but nothing will drag across. I'm obviously doing something wrong. :blush:

Yep, that's the one :). You need to make sure that things are in the "Farourites Bar" bookmark folder for them to appear up there. You can drag things in to that folder from the favourites panel sidebar too, if dragging them direct to the bar is failing.

If you've got a lot of Favourites, it may be easier to browse to this folder (US spelling, but works for UK too) in File Explorer:

%UserProfile%\Favorites

You can them copy/move/cut/paste like normal files to re-arrange things how you'd like :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Ian. Finally got it right. :thumb: Now I can get rid of the favourites panel. :nod:

The only drawback that I can see is that folders won't open from the Favourites Bar and I do have a few in Favourites. Never mind, I'll adapt. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Robots ??

robots.png

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The only drawback that I can see is that folders won't open from the Favourites Bar and I do have a few in Favourites.

It seems the folders will open after all. They didn't seem to initially but all is well now. :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I saw in my alerts that Becky had said 'wow' to one of my posts. I was baffled for a mo as I couldn't see it. Then I realised it was like a like but more like a wow.

Nice touch.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw in my alerts that Becky had said 'wow' to one of my posts. I was baffled for a mo as I couldn't see it. Then I realised it was like a like but more like a wow.

Nice touch.
Yeah I like that new feature too :). If you hover over the like button, you'll see the options :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes so I see, it took me way longer than it should have to find it, I thought it was just a post. :blush:

Edit: Also the blue nav bar at the top that sticks to the top of the page is very handy, saving you having to scroll back up to the top of the page. :cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Edit: Also the blue nav bar at the top that sticks to the top of the page is very handy, saving you having to scroll back up to the top of the page. :cool:

Yeah I like that too, it's pretty useful!

Ask a Question