PC Review Software Upgrade

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
On Monday 24th January 2011, PC Review will be upgraded to a new design, forum software and server... it's a big move! Although the site is currently running very well, many of the software components running PCR have reached the end-of-life stage. This means that patches and updates are no longer released, which could cause problems with future browsers and software security holes.

The move will take up to a day to complete, as the software upgrade will take some considerable time to perform.

On Monday morning at 6AM a snapshot of the current PC Review database will be taken. This means until the upgrade is complete, any posts made after 6AM on 24th January 2011 will not be moved to the new design.

I will be working hard to get the upgrade done as fast as possible, as all of the preparation has already been performed. As soon as the design changes, you will know the switchover is complete - and I will post more info in the forums.

No doubt there will be a few niggles and performance tweaks which will be worked out in the coming weeks. Database and code optimisations can be made once the user load is stable, so the first few days of launch may result in a slightly slower than normal site (although hopefully not!).

New Features (so far!) include:
  • Much better anti-spam mechanisms in place, along with improved post/thread reporting.
  • Improved moderator options (to make renaming, moving and editing threads easier).
  • Inline editing of posts.
  • Friends and profile Wall options (will be tested to see how this goes!)
  • More smilies (as requested by Mucks and TC!).
  • Cleaner forum URLs
  • Automatic youtube/video embedding.
The new upgrade also means changes and upgrades will be much easier to add in the future, so there should be some new additions as time progresses. Some possibilities so far are:
  • An improved "system specs" page, for members to list their PC components.
  • Shoutbox for regular members to have a quick chat.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I'm so excited and I just can't hide it,
I'm about to loose control and I think I like it
Oh yeah!
I know, I know, I know
laughingsmiley.gif

Let the party begin!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score