Format the C-partition before RIS-deploy with flat-image (ristndrd.sif)

Hi!

We are unfortunately in a situation where we need to keep the D-partition
intact on a large number of laptops when deploying WinXP.
For these installations we use RIS on a Win2K3 server with a "flat-image"
solution.

The problem is that we can not force Windows XP to be installed on
C-partition. Windows always installs on any partition that doesnt contain an
existing installation when nothing is specified. This means that windows is
installed on D: when we reinstall the laptops that already have an existing
Windows XP-installation.

We use the following parameters in our unattend-file (ristndrd.sif) on the
RIS-server; (only relevant data included)

[data]
AutoPartition=1

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = No
UseWholeDisk = No

Does anyone know how to format the C-partition automaticly before the
installation begin?
Any parameter in the unattend-file that we haven´t thought of?

We have to use the current technology with unattend-file and RIS. Solutions
like booting on WinPE or using Altiris/SMS are not an option because of the
time-pressure.

/marcus torstensson

Jason Tan

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that when you are deploying the Windows XP installation with
RIS, it cannot force to install the OS on C partition. However, you need to
keep D partition intact. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please feel
free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
information for your reference:

According to :Designing the Media Distribution Process
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/DepKi
t/0a9bc493-f590-484a-b50f-f2fc0803734d.mspx

AutoPartition = 1

Installs Windows on the first available partition that has adequate space
for a Windows installation and does not already contain an installed
version of Windows. Either omit the AutoPartition entry from your answer
file or set the value of AutoPartition to 1. If AutoPartition is set to 1,
the /tempdrive parameter of Winnt32.exe is ignored during setup. If you do
not set the value, text mode stage of Setup installs Windows on the
partition where $WinIN_NTnt$.~lsLS is located.

Therefore, we cannot force to format the C partition to deploy a
flat-image. You may consider using an image to upgrade the system instead
of the clean install. The parameter of upgrade is [Win9xUpg]. Or you may
Use Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP.

For more information, please refer to the following article:
314953 How To Use Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP in a Windows 2000-Based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314953

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support