Forcing NTbackup to use a specific tape drive

Richard

I have a server which has two tape drives attached to it. One is a 40GB DLT
and the other is a 160GB SDLT.

This server is an AD controller & Exchange server, and so what I want to do
is the following;

1. Backup AD (SystemState) and Exchange to the 40GB DLT
2. Backup a whole load of mapped network drives to the 160GB SDLT

I can accomplish this by creating two scheduled tasks that call specific
batch files at different times. These batch files contain commands along
the lines of;

ntbackup backup @c:\settings.bks /p "DLT" /um

My problem is that I don't know how to tell NTbackup to use the 40GB tape
drive for the first backup job (AD & Exchange), and the 160GB tape drive
for the second backup job (all those network shares).

As you can see, I'm aware of the /p switch, but RSM has put both my DLT and
my SDLT tape drives into one pool called "DLT" so I can't use that switch.

Is there a way to tell NTbackup to use a specific *tape drive* as opposed
to a specific *pool*?

Thanks,

Richard.

Alex Zhang

Hello Richard,

Thank you for posting here.

I understand that you want to tell NTbackup to use a specific tape drive.
Then you can not use the "/p", "/um" parameters, because the "/um"
parameter means " Finds the first available media".

You may use the following method to achieve the goal.

1. You may backup some data in the two tapes first. Name the two tapes when
you backup the two tapes.
2. Modify the batch files. Remove the "/p", "/um" parameters.
3. Add "/t" and tape name parameters.

For example: ntbackup backup @c:\settings.bks /t "tape1"

Then you can specify the tape drive for backup using the tape name.

For more information you may browse the following web site:
How to Use Command Line Parameters With the "Ntbackup" Command
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300439

I hope the information proves helpful!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know. I am glad
to be of assistance.
Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support
| From: Richard <[email protected]>
| Subject: Forcing NTbackup to use a specific tape drive
| Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:07:51 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| I have a server which has two tape drives attached to it. One is a 40GB
DLT
| and the other is a 160GB SDLT.
|
| This server is an AD controller & Exchange server, and so what I want to
do
| is the following;
|
| 1. Backup AD (SystemState) and Exchange to the 40GB DLT
| 2. Backup a whole load of mapped network drives to the 160GB SDLT
|
| I can accomplish this by creating two scheduled tasks that call specific
| batch files at different times. These batch files contain commands along
| the lines of;
|
| ntbackup backup @c:\settings.bks /p "DLT" /um
|
| My problem is that I don't know how to tell NTbackup to use the 40GB tape
| drive for the first backup job (AD & Exchange), and the 160GB tape drive
| for the second backup job (all those network shares).
|
| As you can see, I'm aware of the /p switch, but RSM has put both my DLT
and
| my SDLT tape drives into one pool called "DLT" so I can't use that switch.
|
| Is there a way to tell NTbackup to use a specific *tape drive* as opposed
| to a specific *pool*?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Richard.

Richard

[...]

That'll do nicely - thanks Alex.

Richard.

Alex Zhang

Hello Richard,

I am glad to hear the information is helpful!

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to
be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>