Cannot use [/rs] switch with NTbackup on Win2K3

Richard

I'm using the following command in a batchfile to automate our nightly
backups;

ntbackup backup @c:\netback.bks /p "DLT" /um /hc:blush:ff /rs:yes

But this isn't working, and the backup log tells me;

Invalid command line parameter '/R'.
Usage: The /r switch restricts access for this tape to the owner or
administrators.
Specify /r:yes or /r:no.

As you can see, I'm not specifying [/r], I'm specifying [/rs] which tells
NTbackup to backup the Removable Storage database.

If I remove the /rs parameter completely then the backup works fine, so
what's going on?!

Thanks,

Richard.

*Vanguard*

"Richard" said in news:[email protected]:
I'm using the following command in a batchfile to automate our nightly
backups;

ntbackup backup @c:\netback.bks /p "DLT" /um /hc:blush:ff /rs:yes
<snip>

HOW TO: Use Command Line Parameters with the Ntbackup Command in Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814583

The /um command-line switch isn't mentioned. What does it do? A Google
search turned up:

"/um
Find the first available media, format it, and use for the current
backup.
Use with the /p switch to scan for available media pools.
This option is documented for Windows 2000 only.
This command is only for standalone tape devices (not tape loaders.)
The /UM switch must be at the end of the command line."
http://www.ss64.com/nt/ntbackup.html

So if it still works, you are supposed to put /um at the *end* of the
command line.

Alex Zhang

Hello Richard,

Thank you for posting here.

You may browse the following web site for more information about "/r"
parameter:

NTBackup Does Not Run As Expected When You Run It from a Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;821730

We replicated this issue in our lab and got the same error report. After
installing the hotfix mentioned in the above article, this issue still
occur. At last we proved this is a bug. Therefore it is recommended that
not to use the "/r" parameter.

Related information about how to use Ntbackup Command:
HOW TO: Use Command Line Parameters with the Ntbackup Command in Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;814583

I hope the information I have provided you with proves helpful!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know. I am glad
to be of assistance.
Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support
| From: "*Vanguard*" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| Subject: Re: Cannot use [/rs] switch with NTbackup on Win2K3
| Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:23:30 -0500
|
| "Richard" said in | > I'm using the following command in a batchfile to automate our nightly
| > backups;
| >
| > ntbackup backup @c:\netback.bks /p "DLT" /um /hc:blush:ff /rs:yes
| >
| <snip>
|
| HOW TO: Use Command Line Parameters with the Ntbackup Command in Windows
| Server 2003
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814583
|
| The /um command-line switch isn't mentioned. What does it do? A Google
| search turned up:
|
| "/um
| Find the first available media, format it, and use for the current
| backup.
| Use with the /p switch to scan for available media pools.
| This option is documented for Windows 2000 only.
| This command is only for standalone tape devices (not tape loaders.)
| The /UM switch must be at the end of the command line."
| http://www.ss64.com/nt/ntbackup.html
|
| So if it still works, you are supposed to put /um at the *end* of the
| command line.

Richard

[...]

OK, thanks for that clarification Alex. Hopefully it'll fixed in a future
ServicePack then.

Richard.

Richard

The /um command-line switch isn't mentioned. What does it do? A Google
search turned up:

"/um
Find the first available media, format it, and use for the current
backup.
Use with the /p switch to scan for available media pools.
This option is documented for Windows 2000 only.
This command is only for standalone tape devices (not tape loaders.)
The /UM switch must be at the end of the command line."
http://www.ss64.com/nt/ntbackup.html

So if it still works, you are supposed to put /um at the *end* of the
command line.

/um tells NTbackup to just go ahead and overwrite the media in the drive
without popping up "are you really sure you want to overwrite this media"
dialog boxes which would otherwise prevent the automated backup from
running.

Alex Zhang has since posted that this is now a confirmed bug in NTbackup
2003, so I guess I'll just wait for a fix in a future servicepack. Moving
/um to the end of the command line alas made no difference, but thanks for
the suggestion.

Richard.

Bob I

If 2003 hasn't changed it, whatever is set in the "wizard" is the
default and need not be entered at the command line unless you wish to
override the setting.

Alex Zhang

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on our research, you may add "/r:no" parameter in front of "/rs:yes"
for a workaround.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to
be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>