Force GP to apply from only one site

Beej

Can I force group policy to apply to a particular group of users and
computers from only one site in a domain. The users and computers in
question are behind a router with a slow link and sometimes the
policies are applying from a site also behind a router with a slow
link which seesm to slow the whole process of applying computer and
user policies.

Gary Mudgett [MSFT]

Do you have Sites and Subnets setup in AD Sites and Services? The subnets
need to be associated with the site you want the policies to apply form.
That information is the used to give the clients referrals to the closest
DC.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

Steven L Umbach

Beej

Gary Mudgett said:
Do you have Sites and Subnets setup in AD Sites and Services? The subnets
need to be associated with the site you want the policies to apply form.
That information is the used to give the clients referrals to the closest
DC.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

The users in question are not set up under a site like all of other
users. They are on a seperate subnet though but connect to our domain
via a DHCP enabled router. Is it a case for setting them up with a
fixed logon server. If so any suggestions for how this is done.

Thanks

Gary Mudgett [MSFT]

I would still suggest setting up a subnet and associating it with the
closest site in AD Sites & Services. That way those machines will search
for DCs in their associated site instead of any general DC in the domain.

Group policies are applied based on DFS referrals given back to the client
and not which domain controller authenticated the user.