Footnotes renumbered and missing

Iceman

Hello, group!
Again I must call for your assistance.

I'm working in a large (231 pp) Word document, which I have divided into 110
sections. There are many footnotes, and I prefer to restart numbering on
each page.

All of a sudden the numbering has been changed to continual numbering
(1-XXX), and moreover, some of the footnotes are missing from view in Page
Layout. They are still there -- I can see that by clicking on the footnote
reference number -- but they don't appear.

How can I change back the numbering to 'restart numbering' and how can I get
the notes back into view?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Could some of the footnotes have become (or been entered as) endnotes?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Iceman

In this group Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
Could some of the footnotes have become (or been entered as) endnotes?

No. They've simply disappeared from view (not all of them, mind you, and
that's the strangest bit).

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Do you have nonprinting characters (including Hidden text) displayed?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

all may benefit.

Iceman

In this group Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
Do you have nonprinting characters (including Hidden text) displayed?

(Sorry for the delay in replying)

You mean if I checked 'Hidden text' in Tools | Options | View ?

Yes, I tried that, and that didn't make any difference.

I forgot to mention in my OP, that Word crashed on me just after I opened
the document.

I'm almost certain that this trouble with the footnotes has got something to
do with the document sections. I think you have mentioned here that you
generally avoided using sections, and you're right, they're a bitch, but
there is no other way to change the headers for every new page, like I have
to do in this document.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Depending on *why* you have to change the header on every page, you might be
able to avoid it. If the changes reflect any text that is on the page
itself, you can pick that up with a StyleRef field. But I would guess that
the crash has corrupted your doc. If you're using Word 2003 (or 2002?), use
the Open and Repair option. Otherwise, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

all may benefit.

Iceman

In this group Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message
Depending on *why* you have to change the header on every page, you
might be able to avoid it. If the changes reflect any text that is on
the page itself, you can pick that up with a StyleRef field. But I
would guess that the crash has corrupted your doc. If you're using
Word 2003 (or 2002?), use the Open and Repair option. Otherwise, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Thanks for that link and for other advice. The doc is restored to relative
normality now. :)

Iceman