Fonts 'missing'

Roxana

Hi.
Outlook/Word 2002 (Office XP)
W98se

I just noticed that all my *font* dropdown menu choices are missing in
Outlook/Word (except for one. One I have never used before)
In the dropdown font menu box, there's now only one font shown - Roman 10
CPI. Verdana 10 is there as the 'default' font in the font box (Verdana 10
is my normal font and the one in which I was chosing to reply to - which was
already in Verdana 10).

Any idea what this sudden loss is about/ what could have caused this to
happen ? Any pointers on how I might go about fixing it ?

And... where does Word/Outlook get it's Font selection from ? Is it from the
normal C:\WINDOWS\FONTS directory, or from elsewhere ?

If there's any help, I'd be appreciative.
Thank you.

Roxana

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Do you still have a non-generic printer installed?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

| Hi.
| Outlook/Word 2002 (Office XP)
| W98se
|
| I just noticed that all my *font* dropdown menu choices are missing in
| Outlook/Word (except for one. One I have never used before)
| In the dropdown font menu box, there's now only one font shown -
| Roman 10 CPI. Verdana 10 is there as the 'default' font in the font
| box (Verdana 10 is my normal font and the one in which I was chosing
| to reply to - which was already in Verdana 10).
|
| Any idea what this sudden loss is about/ what could have caused this
| to happen ? Any pointers on how I might go about fixing it ?
|
| And... where does Word/Outlook get it's Font selection from ? Is it
| from the normal C:\WINDOWS\FONTS directory, or from elsewhere ?
|
| If there's any help, I'd be appreciative.
| Thank you.
|
| Roxana

Roxana

No non-generic printer presently installed.
At one time. I had a Lexmark X83. That has been long gone and buried.

No actual printer at this moment. However, the other day I did "add a
printer"; a generic printer (print to file). However, I think I still had
all fonts as I'd always had.
Normally, 4 fonts were shown in the MRU font list. Then I also had all the
customary fonts listed in the remainder of the dropdown box that I might
choose to select if I so desired.

I should add that the other day I also removed some fonts from
C:\WINDOWS\FONTS (I still have 223 fonts in that directory). I didn't notice
any change in Outlook 2002/Word 2002 at that time.

It should be noted that I did not remove any which a MSKB article said not
to remove as they were Windows System Fonts. I am referring to these two
MSKB articles:
How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q254768
specifically:
Works: "Wkgdcache caused a general protection fault in module" error message
when you run Works
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=246065
<paste>
NOTE CERTAIN FONTS ARE REQUIRED BY MICROSOFT WINDOWS. DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF
THE FOLLOWING FONTS:
• Arial (including Arial Bold, Arial Italic, or any other variation of
Arial)
• Book Antiqua
• Calisto MT
• Century Gothic (including any variation of Century Gothic)
• Copperplate Gothic (including any variation of Copperplate Gothic)
• Courier (including any variation of Courier)
• Courier New (including any variation of Courier New)
• Haettenschweiler
• Impact
• Lucida (including any variation of Lucida)
• Marlett
• Matisse ITC
• Modern
• News Gothic MT (including any variation of News Gothic MT)
• OCR A Extended
• MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24
• MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24
• Small Fonts
• Symbol
• Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24
• Tahoma (including any variation of Tahoma)
• Tempus Sans ITC
• Times New Roman (including any variation of Times New Roman)
• Verdana (including any variation of Verdana)
• Webdings
• Westminster
• Wingdings

</paste>

Thanks for your reply.

Roxana

in message
Do you still have a non-generic printer installed?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

| Hi.
| Outlook/Word 2002 (Office XP)
| W98se
|
| I just noticed that all my *font* dropdown menu choices are missing in
| Outlook/Word (except for one. One I have never used before)
| In the dropdown font menu box, there's now only one font shown -
| Roman 10 CPI. Verdana 10 is there as the 'default' font in the font
| box (Verdana 10 is my normal font and the one in which I was chosing
| to reply to - which was already in Verdana 10).
|
| Any idea what this sudden loss is about/ what could have caused this
| to happen ? Any pointers on how I might go about fixing it ?
|
| And... where does Word/Outlook get it's Font selection from ? Is it
| from the normal C:\WINDOWS\FONTS directory, or from elsewhere ?
|
| If there's any help, I'd be appreciative.
| Thank you.
|
| Roxana

Roxana

Hello Milly. :)

Update: While "furiously head scratching", I looked around in my system. I
looked at a certain MSKB article. Then, combining the two (head scratching
and reading, oh.... and 'experimenting", I *think* I've solved the problem
(?). That is, I have my fonts listed again in the dropdown box (the 4
previously used MRU ones are no longer shown as the "MRU's" at this time
though. No problem)

BUT, anyway, I looked at:
Fonts are missing from the Font list when you click the Font box on the
Formatting toolbar in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276515

Therein, the instructions given ("Install a default printer") didn't apply
*exactly* with how things are in my system, but I forged ahead anyway. That
accomplished nothing. I also looked at the properties of the "Generic / Text
Only" printer, but there was little I could do to configure it. It was also
set as "default".

I have another so-called printer here as well. It is called Snagit 8 (this
is from a program designed to do various sorts of screen captures; both in
PC and Web based. I've had this program for years, but have never "printed"
with it. I'm not sure how one could, if I haven't any actual printer. lol

OK, sticking to issue at hand, I checked the properties and so-forth of this
Snagit 8 "printer", and made that one the default printer. *Viola*.... my
font list has returned to Word 2002/ Outlook 2002.

I'd still bet a good deal of moolah that my fonts were still there in Word
2002 even earlier today, despite the fact that that Generic-print to file
"printer" was "installed" at least 4 or 6 days ago. So, ultimately, veven if
this has been "solved", I'm still there scratching-head-furiously. I just
don't get it......

I don't know if you'll have any further comments to add, but I thank you for
your effort and time in trying to assist me. :)

May I "ring back", if things tuen out not to be "right as rain" in the long
run ?

Roxana

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Do you still have a non-generic printer installed?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

| Hi.
| Outlook/Word 2002 (Office XP)
| W98se
|
| I just noticed that all my *font* dropdown menu choices are missing in
| Outlook/Word (except for one. One I have never used before)
| In the dropdown font menu box, there's now only one font shown -
| Roman 10 CPI. Verdana 10 is there as the 'default' font in the font
| box (Verdana 10 is my normal font and the one in which I was chosing
| to reply to - which was already in Verdana 10).
|
| Any idea what this sudden loss is about/ what could have caused this
| to happen ? Any pointers on how I might go about fixing it ?
|
| And... where does Word/Outlook get it's Font selection from ? Is it
| from the normal C:\WINDOWS\FONTS directory, or from elsewhere ?
|
| If there's any help, I'd be appreciative.
| Thank you.
|
| Roxana

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Fonts are a property of printers and must have a non-generic printer installed to show up - even the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program will "install" your fonts.

--
> [...]

| reading.
|
| After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:
|
|| Hi.
|| Outlook/Word 2002 (Office XP)
|| W98se
|| I just noticed that all my *font* dropdown menu choices are missing
|| in Outlook/Word (except for one. One I have never used before)
|| In the dropdown font menu box, there's now only one font shown -
|| Roman 10 CPI. Verdana 10 is there as the 'default' font in the font
|| box (Verdana 10 is my normal font and the one in which I was chosing
|| to reply to - which was already in Verdana 10).
|| Any idea what this sudden loss is about/ what could have caused this
|| to happen ? Any pointers on how I might go about fixing it ?
|| And... where does Word/Outlook get it's Font selection from ? Is it
|| from the normal C:\WINDOWS\FONTS directory, or from elsewhere ?
|| If there's any help, I'd be appreciative.

Roxana

Yes; I'd read that some - if not all - fonts would suddenly become an issue
(such and such a program would have some problem) if there wasn't a printer
installed (or dummy printer and driver for said dummy printer).

I've been without a true printer or driver (Lexmark) for more than one year
at this point. I only noticed this problem of which I've posted, this very
evening.

I can only assume that 'installing a generic printer and driver' must have
been (ir)responsible for this mess up with Word2002 fonts. I *know* that all
my fonts were usable in another program (a photo editor) after I installed
that generic-print to file, 'printer and driver'. Maybe because it was
somehow configured as the 'default printer' this issue came into play with
Word 2002. I truly don't understand why this problem happened "just now",
and not immediately after installing generic dummy printer and driver.

Again, I'd have bet a million dollars that even yesterday, Word 2002 fonts
were in order, but...... I'll still be scratching my head about this.

As an extra note, I'd read - and heard from some software developer - that
installation of a generic print-to-file printer and driver could be used to
eliminate some issues with *some* programs which had problems wherein Fonts
were concerned. That was why I went ahead with the 'installation' in the
first place. :-/

OK then Milly.... thanks for your help. :)

Roxana