Font not displaying propery

I am having a problem with some powerpoint slides which I am trying to run
from a cd. The slides work on other computers in both office 2003 and 2007.
In every slide, every character is replaced with some kind of bracket or
parenthesis. The font shows as "formata". I have been able to paste the text
into MS word 2007 while keeping the source formating, and the text displays
without any issues. I can change the font but Id like to have the font
display properly every time the cd is used. can anyone help?

Echo S

You probably need to embed that font into the presentation file before
creating the CD. I suspect the problem is that the font isn't installed on
the computer that's running the CD.

Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/

"characters replaced by brackets parent.." <characters replaced by brackets
news:[email protected]...

The cd was distributed with the textbook that this professor is teaching
from. It cant be changed unless I pull every power point file off of the cd
and edit them. I am assuming the font is installed since the text can be
displayed in MS word.

Echo S

I wouldn't assume that, but okay.

If the machines yoiu're having problems with are PPT 2007, then make sure
you have a Windows-certified printer driver installed locally and set as the
default driver.

How to install a local printer driver
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00605.htm

Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/

"characters replaced by brackets parent.."

Why a printer driver? What does this have to do with how PowerPoint displays
fonts??? Has MS done something silly again?

Echo S said:
I wouldn't assume that, but okay.

If the machines yoiu're having problems with are PPT 2007, then make sure
you have a Windows-certified printer driver installed locally and set as the
default driver.

How to install a local printer driver
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00605.htm

Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/

"characters replaced by brackets parent.."
The cd was distributed with the textbook that this professor is teaching
from. It cant be changed unless I pull every power point file off of the
cd
and edit them. I am assuming the font is installed since the text can be
displayed in MS word.

Echo S

PowerPoint 2007 relies more heavily on printer drivers for display than
previous versions of PPT did. Sorry, I can't tell you any more than that
because I don't really know any more than that.

Look, it doesn't take long to try -- give it a shot and see if it works. If
it doesn't, you haven't lost anything but the five minutes it takes to
install the driver.

:

I am having a problem with some powerpoint slides which I am trying to
run
from a cd. The slides work on other computers in both office 2003 and
2007.
In every slide, every character is replaced with some kind of bracket
or
parenthesis. The font shows as "formata". I have been able to paste
the
text
into MS word 2007 while keeping the source formating, and the text
displays
without any issues. I can change the font but Id like to have the font
display properly every time the cd is used. can anyone help?

Steve Rindsberg

Characters said:
The cd was distributed with the textbook that this professor is teaching
from. It cant be changed unless I pull every power point file off of the cd
and edit them.

But you can try one or two as a test, no?
I am assuming the font is installed since the text can be
displayed in MS word.

Not necessarily the case. For example, if PPT is substituting a different font
for Formata than Word is, the results might be completely different.

In any case, why assume when it's so simple to know for certain?
Choose Start, Control Panel, doubleclick Fonts and see if Formata is there.

If memory serves, my copy of Formata was a Type1/Postscript font, meaning it
couldn't be embedded. But I wouldn't trust my memory too far on that one.

Steve Rindsberg

Brian Lynn said:
Why a printer driver? What does this have to do with how PowerPoint displays
fonts??? Has MS done something silly again?

PPT's always been a bit sensitive to the printer driver. It seems a bit more so
in the latest version.

Ok, now i know for sure that formata is not installed on any of the pc's that
I have tested these powerpoint files on. I added a printer as suggested by
following the instructions provided. There is something different on this one
users pc that is causing all characters in these files to be displayed as
random brackets and parathesis. Aside from this one pc in question, this same
cd has worked in in both 2003 and 2007 on other machines( all windows XP
pro). I appreciate the suggestions so far, Im hoping someone out there may
have more. Im really not sure where to begin.

Thanks

Steve Rindsberg

So it's strictly on this one PC?

If you haven't already, power it down totally and let it sit for about a cup of
coffee or so, then start it up again. See if that's sorted it out.

You could also try creating a new user profile and testing under it.

Steve Rindsberg

If it starts to spin round and spew green stuff, run for a priest. But until then ...
hmmm.

One more thought: corrupt font (the one PPT is choosing in place of formata)

So open the presentation on the problem PC, choose Format, Replace Fonts. Choose Formata
in the upper list box and look at the result in the lower list box.

Close PPT, locate the font file, copy it off to someplace safe, then remove it (using
Control Panel, Fonts). That'll force PPT to choose a different substitute font.

Restart PPT and have a look at the presentation.

Well im srry to say that that didnt work either. Im gonna try uninstalling
and removing all registry entries. see if i can start from scratch or even
send the user back to office 2003. Ill keep you posted. feel free to offer
any more ideas. thanks a lot for you help.

I still have yet to solve this issue, I set up powerpoint viewer to handle
ppt files by default so the user can use this cd without problems.