Folding phones

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've just seen that a company called Royole have announced the world's first foldable smartphone, and it's called the FlexPai.

It certainly looks intriguing, but I can't imagine something that size being pocket friendly! It even looks too big to be called a smartphone to be honest, can you imagine walking around with that thing up against your head?! :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Difficult to see just how big it is as there's nothing to compare it to. However, it does look quite cumbersome and you would probably look like someone from the 90s when mobiles were like bricks. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Let's see how long it is before we have a screen that wraps around your wrist like a PipBoy... I mean, I'd totally get one :D

I would rather it folded the other direction like a flip phone so that the display could be protected.

Yeah I know what you mean, when I first heard about folding screens that's what I was expecting too. Screens are pretty tough nowadays though, so I guess they want to make the most of being able to use the device in both ways (ie folded and unfolded). Plus it does make it more portable, but only really if you're putting it in a bag (can't imagine it fitting in many pockets).

Reaction score
I keep my phone in what was called a "watch pocket" but is now usually called a "change pocket."
I can't imagine how long my phone would survive if it weren't a flip phone, as I do electrical and plumbing work and also service major appliances. Tools are constantly being put in and taken out of my pocket.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
A cool video from Marques

He makes some very good points! I much prefer the look of what Samsung has planned, it makes more sense having a big screen that folds inside the device. I used to have a big phone, the Samsung Note 3. I liked having a big screen, but it was a bit clunky so I like the idea of having flexibility. Seems like something that could be good once a couple of generations of the tech have been out, I won't be rushing in to buy one any time soon.

Ask a Question