Folders on Desktop do not retain personal settings.

Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage newsgroup.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message I have created several folders on my desktop so that I can access the files
in them rapidly. I changed the View to "Icons" and unckeck "Auto Arrange"
in the Arrange Icons by... Then set up the icons in the order I like ....
then a few hours later (no reboot or shutdown) the sytem changes everything
back to a default of ... View "Tiles" and the check mark is back on the "Auto
Arrange" in the Arrange Icons by...

Help.

Kelly

Hi Paul,

See if this helps:

By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
(200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
by adding this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Note: XP-SP2 ups it to 5000.
--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,