folder with local homepage

G

In a previous version of Outlook I had the following set-up:

To a folder (e.g. "tasks") I had associated a homepage, which was a simpel HTML residing on my PC. When I opened the folder I saw the homepage and with a mouseclick on the displayed homepage I saw the content of the folder (e.g. the tasks) exactly as if there was no homepage at all.

Now I am using Outlook 2003 and experiences two problems trying to get the same set-up:

1) It seems like the homepage must be available on the Internet (but can - within some limits - be availalble offline as well). How can I use a local HTML file?

2) If I associate a homepage to a folder, how can I get to the content of that folder? Apparently it is of no use to click anywhere.

Any help appreciated.

Jørn

G

Thanks for your reply.

1) I see from your homepage that I should just accept the error message and choose cancel. Then it works. I did not experience this problem in earlier versions.

2) If I understand you correctly I cannot toggle, but incorporate the folder view in my webpage so I access both at the same time. I am not familiar with OVC so I hesitate a bit since it sounds like a lot of work to get something which is not what I wanted anyway. Will the folder incoprorated into the webpage work exactly like an ordinary forlder or are there some limitations?

Jørn

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" skrev:

G

1) I don't know what error message you're referring to.

2) Adding the OVC is hardly any work at all, and the user will have all the same right-click and double-click functionality as in the normal folder window. The page I suggested has links to samples, so you can play with it.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

Jørn Lodahl said:
Thanks for your reply.

1) I see from your homepage that I should just accept the error message and choose cancel. Then it works. I did not experience this problem in earlier versions.

2) If I understand you correctly I cannot toggle, but incorporate the folder view in my webpage so I access both at the same time. I am not familiar with OVC so I hesitate a bit since it sounds like a lot of work to get something which is not what I wanted anyway. Will the folder incoprorated into the webpage work exactly like an ordinary forlder or are there some limitations?

Jørn

1) You should be able to put in a local file path to an html file: C:\MyPage.htm

2) Outlook no longer supports easy toggling between a folder home page and the folder view. The best solution might be to incorporate the Outlook View Control into your custom page to display the folder. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/ovc.htm

G

1) Fig 3.39 at http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102029&seqNum=8
(Actually my error message is in Danish but explains the same)

2) I use outlook 2003 and as I understand it OVC should be included by default. However, a search for outlctlx.dll did not find anything. I did a test with the example shown on http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102029&seqNum=7 (the one with by category view of tasks) which worked OK. I give it a try, now I think it is mostly for me to learn the parameters etc. which should be within reach.

Once again, thanks.

Jørn

2) Adding the OVC is hardly any work at all, and the user will have all the same right-click and double-click functionality as in the normal folder window. The page I suggested has links to samples, so you can play with it.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Jørn Lodahl said:
Thanks for your reply.

Jørn

1) You should be able to put in a local file path to an html file: C:\MyPage.htm

2) Outlook no longer supports easy toggling between a folder home page and the folder view. The best solution might be to incorporate the Outlook View Control into your custom page to display the folder. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/ovc.htm

:

To a folder (e.g. "tasks") I had associated a homepage, which was a simpel HTML residing on my PC. When I opened the folder I saw the homepage and with a mouseclick on the displayed homepage I saw the content of the folder (e.g. the tasks) exactly as if there was no homepage at all.

Now I am using Outlook 2003 and experiences two problems trying to get the same set-up:

1) It seems like the homepage must be available on the Internet (but can - within some limits - be availalble offline as well). How can I use a local HTML file?

2) If I associate a homepage to a folder, how can I get to the content of that folder? Apparently it is of no use to click anywhere.

Any help appreciated.

Jørn

G

1) As the article says, you can just ignore the message. Also, if you have IIS running locally (as you might if you're using FrontPage to build sites locally), you can put your web page in an IIS virtual server and use http://. Another tactic might be to use a UNC name pointing to a shared drive on your own machine; I'm not sure if that would overcome the error, but I've known it to help with some ActiveX controls in folder home pages.

2) The file name is different in Outlook 2003 -- Outlctl.dll -- and is indeed installed by default.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Jørn Lodahl said:
1) Fig 3.39 at http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102029&seqNum=8
(Actually my error message is in Danish but explains the same)

2) I use outlook 2003 and as I understand it OVC should be included by default. However, a search for outlctlx.dll did not find anything. I did a test with the example shown on http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102029&seqNum=7 (the one with by category view of tasks) which worked OK. I give it a try, now I think it is mostly for me to learn the parameters etc. which should be within reach.

Jørn Lodahl said:
Thanks for your reply.

Jørn

:

G

Hi,

I'm having a problem with folder set to local homepage as well, although
it's not really the same as the problem stated here. I hope it's okay for me
to append my question to this thread.

The problem: I can set the homepage to point to local file, but then it will
open the homepage in a new browser window instead of showing it inside
Outlook. FYI, I'm using Outlook 2000.

Any help on this issue is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Ask a Question