Folder properties and sharing inaccessible - XP Pro, SP2

AK

I am running XP Pro on an Athlon 1900 computer, just updated to SP2 with no
problems except this one as far as I can tell. I am also running Norton
Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall.

I have seen some earlier posts re this folder properties problem, and tried
Kelly's Tweaks, to no avail.

Since installing SP2, right clicking on a folder and then mousing to
"Sharing and security" or "Properties" does not do anything in the pop-up
window (all other actions like "Explore" etc. work fine).

This is a major problem for me as I need to share some folders on my home
business network between computers.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Thanks

Alan

Bobby Mikkelson {MSFT}

Hello Allen,
I think the issue with working within the network is related to firewall
issues. Try booting into Safe Mode with Network support and then access the
folders. This will most likely resolve the issue. What I've seen throughout
the SP2 release is that Norton Firewall closes down ports for the Local
Network. Temporarily uninstall Norton Firewall and then boot back into
Normal Mode, if you no longer have the issue is dealing with Norton
Personal Firewall. If that is the case you can contact Norton's Support
group for assistance on finding out what settings need to be adjusted. In
addition; Zone Alarm will most likely cause issues and may need to be
removed. Also, if you plan to use third party firewall software you might
want to make sure to disable the Windows XP Firewall.
Hope this helps
Thank You

Bobby Mikkelson MCSE,MCP
Microsoft Consumer Support Engineer

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

--------------------
| From: "AK" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Folder properties and sharing inaccessible - XP Pro, SP2
| Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:19:34 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
|
| I am running XP Pro on an Athlon 1900 computer, just updated to SP2 with
no
| problems except this one as far as I can tell. I am also running Norton
| Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall.
|
| I have seen some earlier posts re this folder properties problem, and
tried
| Kelly's Tweaks, to no avail.
|
| Since installing SP2, right clicking on a folder and then mousing to
| "Sharing and security" or "Properties" does not do anything in the pop-up
| window (all other actions like "Explore" etc. work fine).
|
| This is a major problem for me as I need to share some folders on my home
| business network between computers.
|
| Has anyone found a solution yet?
|
| Thanks
|
| Alan

AK

Bobby:

Your suggestion of booting into safe mode worked in part. In safe mode, I
could see folder properties, and see and change properties such as sharing
etc.

Once I rebooted out of safe mode, the folders seemed to retain the
properties I had set, but once again I could not see the properties or
change them when I right-clicked on the folder.

I turned off but did not install Norton, with no difference (uninstalling is
a real pain as I am running on downloaded upgrades, and this becomes a
problem reloading as opposed to reloading of a CD). I may have mislead you
about the problem a little - this has nothing to do with the network other
than that I want to share the folders over the network - this problem is
confined to the local computer that I upgraded with SP2. The shared folders
are visible over the network.

Thanks for this work-around - I hope MSFT fixes it soon.
Alan