Flash drive bootable?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Is it possible to use my flash drive and set it up to boot windows instead of my HDD? I have a PNY (2 gig) Flash drive.

Reaction score
dunno, try it and let us know how you get on. Your mobo will need to support USB boot though (should be an option in the BIOS) i know you can do it with a USB hard disk but not sure about flash drive.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well i looked through my system setup and it says i can force my usb drive to act like a HDD, u think thats the way?
and then what? install windows on it?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
After reading the report.... something tells me im better off not using a flash drive to boot from. :D

Reaction score
Interesting project that. I wonder tho as the flash memory is solid state how much faster would windows boot up? Much faster I suspect?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i have heard that in the future (in the next year or so) HDD will have flash memory so they can boot faster.... thats what i wanted to do, but i dont what to mess my computer or make my flash drive un-usable.

Reaction score
Surely it wouldnt cripple it permanantly tho, just reformat afterward?

They cheap enough now to replace you can get a 1gig one for less than £20

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
True, but i rather not mess one up in the first place :D

Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting reading, thinking of doing the same myself, but putting Linux on the flash drive.

Ask a Question