for this particular group...........can't recall my first log on name
anymore.......................

JD
Mar 4 2001, 10:17 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: "JD" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:15:24 -0800
Subject: Re: Cdrom support in older PB
Report Abuse

"

May 24 1999, 11:00 pm show options

Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95
From: "Joe Dea" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: 1999/05/25
Subject: Re: Passwords...ARRRG
Report Abuse

Conor

Nick Le said:
I first connected to the Internet at home (Jersey, Channel Islands) in 1996 via
28.8k dialup to a local ISP calling themselves Supernet. My first post to
usenet was in this newsgroup on 19/04/1996 see here http://tinyurl.com/dzc53
can you remember your first post.
Mine was in 1992 through Compuserve.

Nick Le Lievre

Conor said:
Mine was in 1992 through Compuserve.

Supernet was the first ISP in Jersey they launched in 1994 before that I guess
the "early adopters" used UK providers. I didn't even have a PC in 1992. I was
thinking about buying one however having been impressed with my brother in laws
clone 386dx33 running Windows 3.0. I was 16/17 in 1992 and still playing with
my imported SuperNES. Having been a Commodore 16/128 Amiga 500 & 1500 owner in
the mid 80s to early 90s I was impressed with the PCs power 33mhz! 4mb of RAM
120mb of Hard Drive space wow! a lot more powerfull then the Amiga.

Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre said:

Incidently I just ran a quick search on google groups and the earliest post I
can find of conor turton is this one http://tinyurl.com/7gxbh dated 08/02/1997
did you use USENET before that date under a different id of have I missed some
earlier conor posts.

Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre said:
Incidently I just ran a quick search on google groups and the earliest post I
can find of conor turton is this one http://tinyurl.com/7gxbh dated 08/02/1997
did you use USENET before that date under a different id of have I missed some
earlier conor posts.

I found this one dated 31/07/1995 http://tinyurl.com/77h4 which could be you
posting with your compuserve email address. Was it you?

Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre said:
post

I found this one dated 31/07/1995 http://tinyurl.com/77h4 which could be you
posting with your compuserve email address. Was it you?

According to the Compuserve website they "expanded" into europe in 1989 as a
leading ISP. Anyone know who/when the first ISP for the UK was launched?

Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre said:
According to the Compuserve website they "expanded" into europe in 1989 as a
leading ISP. Anyone know who/when the first ISP for the UK was launched?

Conor did you use Windows 3.0 MS DOS or Unix as your operating system when you
first connected to the Internet in 1992? I was using Windows 95 DUN in 1996.

Bernard Peek

Nick Le Lievre said:
According to the Compuserve website they "expanded" into europe in 1989 as a
leading ISP. Anyone know who/when the first ISP for the UK was launched?

I'm pretty sure that the first real home-user ISP in the UK was Demon in
1992. Pipex was already running but their prices were astronomical.
Other than those if you wanted Internet access you probably had to cadge
a connection from a university.