First Day of Week

Dennis Marks

Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
starting on Monday. In the US the week starts on a Sunday. Can the history
display be changed? Today on Monday it shows sites that I visited yesterday
as being last week.

--
Dennis

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to back
up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not included. Not
for internal use. Don't run with knives.

Phil Weldon

'Dennis Marks' wrote, in part:
| Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
| starting on Monday.
_____

Yes, you are picky.

The only two appearances of "a week starting on Monday" in 'History' in
Internet Explorer are that 'Last Week' starts on a Monday and '2 Weeks Ago'
starts on a Monday. You might as well complain that 'Last Week' doesn't
start 7 days ago. Or that in most emploment situations that Monday is the
first day of the work week. In fact, NOTHING in the USA indicates SUNDAY as
the first day of the week (except the naive assumption that the shape of a
calendar indicates the first and last days of a week.)

But to give you a properly picky answer, ISO-8601 defines MONDAY as the
first day of the week. (ISO is the International Organization for
Standardization)

Phil Weldon

| Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
| starting on Monday. In the US the week starts on a Sunday. Can the history
| display be changed? Today on Monday it shows sites that I visited
yesterday
| as being last week.
|
| --
| Dennis
|
| Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
back
| up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not included.
Not
| for internal use. Don't run with knives.

Jerry

If you are one to care about religious history then be aware that god
supposedly rested on the seventh day - and that is supposed to be Sunday -
which means the week started on Monday.

From Google Search:
"...What Is the First Day of the Week?
The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not
share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical
sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ
corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and
Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also
evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). .."

So ISO thinks this or ISO thinks that doesn't have anything to do with what
is the first day of the week in America. Unless, of course, one labors under
the 'naive assumption' that individuals are not entitled to their own choice
of a day to start the weeks with. A moot point either way, even for people
who can't read a calendar. Monday is monday and the most hated day of the
week for most people, whether it's the 1st (which it aint) or the 2nd (which
it is) day of the week...:)

Chas.

Phil Weldon

'MadDog' wrote:
| The first day of the work week for me is Saturday.
|
| What does that mean ??
_____

That you work an unusual shift?

Phil Weldon

| The first day of the work week for me is Saturday.
|
| What does that mean ??
|
| MD
|

| "Phil Weldon" wrote:
|
| > 'Dennis Marks' wrote, in part:
| > | Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
| > | starting on Monday.
| > _____
| >
| > Yes, you are picky.
| >
| > The only two appearances of "a week starting on Monday" in 'History' in
| > Internet Explorer are that 'Last Week' starts on a Monday and '2 Weeks
Ago'
| > starts on a Monday. You might as well complain that 'Last Week' doesn't
| > start 7 days ago. Or that in most emploment situations that Monday is
the
| > first day of the work week. In fact, NOTHING in the USA indicates
SUNDAY as
| > the first day of the week (except the naive assumption that the shape of
| > calendar indicates the first and last days of a week.)
| >
| > But to give you a properly picky answer, ISO-8601 defines MONDAY as the
| > first day of the week. (ISO is the International Organization for
| > Standardization)
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > | starting on Monday. In the US the week starts on a Sunday. Can the
history
| > | display be changed? Today on Monday it shows sites that I visited
| > yesterday
| > | as being last week.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dennis
| > |

'chas.' wrote, in part:
| So ISO thinks this or ISO thinks that doesn't have anything to do with
what
| is the first day of the week in America.

ISO doesn't 'think' anything. It is a cooperative international
organization that sets standards that are, well, international.
When agreement on a certain proceedure or specification is necessary, then
you damn well better have a standards organization. You may call whatever
day you wish the 'first day of the week', but that is not so useful if you
must communicate unambiguously with someone who calls a DIFFERENT day the
'first day of the week.'

There is also such a thing as a 'naive' search in google. If you don't use
the right string, or ask the correct question, you won't get a useful
answer.
Using Google, try the search string { ISO "first day of the week" }.

Or you just might go to
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/introduction/index.html .

You might also consider that ISO-3166-1 establishes the international
standard for Top-Level Domains. Without such an International Standard, the
World Wide Web could not exist.

Phil Weldon

| From Google Search:
| "...What Is the First Day of the Week?
| The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not
| share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical
| sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ
| corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and
| Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is
also
| evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). .."
|
| So ISO thinks this or ISO thinks that doesn't have anything to do with
what
| is the first day of the week in America. Unless, of course, one labors
under
| the 'naive assumption' that individuals are not entitled to their own
choice
| of a day to start the weeks with. A moot point either way, even for people
| who can't read a calendar. Monday is monday and the most hated day of the
| week for most people, whether it's the 1st (which it aint) or the 2nd
(which
| it is) day of the week...:)
|
| Chas.
|

| "Phil Weldon" wrote:
|
| > 'Dennis Marks' wrote, in part:
| > | Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
| > | starting on Monday.
| > _____
| >
| > Yes, you are picky.
| >
| > The only two appearances of "a week starting on Monday" in 'History' in
| > Internet Explorer are that 'Last Week' starts on a Monday and '2 Weeks
Ago'
| > starts on a Monday. You might as well complain that 'Last Week' doesn't
| > start 7 days ago. Or that in most emploment situations that Monday is
the
| > first day of the work week. In fact, NOTHING in the USA indicates
SUNDAY as
| > the first day of the week (except the naive assumption that the shape of
| > calendar indicates the first and last days of a week.)
| >
| > But to give you a properly picky answer, ISO-8601 defines MONDAY as the
| > first day of the week. (ISO is the International Organization for
| > Standardization)
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > | starting on Monday. In the US the week starts on a Sunday. Can the
history
| > | display be changed? Today on Monday it shows sites that I visited
| > yesterday
| > | as being last week.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Dennis
| > |
| > | Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
| > back
| > | up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not
included.
| > Not
| > | for internal use. Don't run with knives.
| > |
| > |

It means that arguing about whether the week starts on Sunday or Monday (or
even Saturday) is not something I need to worry about... ;~]]

MD

David Candy

Microsoft are usually right about such things. But not always. They still don't get the fact that space is the thousand seperator in Australia.

Still it should be Sunday (day 6 eg 7th day) for US people (it's monday for me - day 0)

Windows 2000 Calendar Table
ID Calendar
1 Gregorian (localized)
2 Gregorian (U.S.)
3 Era: Year of the Emperor (Japan)
4 Era: Year of Taiwan
5 Tangun Era (Korea)
6 Hijri (Arabic Lunar)
7 Thai
8 Hebrew (Lunar)
9 Gregorian (Middle East) French
10 Gregorian Arabic
11 Gregorian transliterated English
12 Gregorian transliterated French

iCalendarType
HKCU\Control Panel\International

Data type Range Default value
REG_SZ 0 - 12 Calendar-ID For U.S. English: 1

Description
Specifies the type of calendar currently being used on the system, as represented by its calendar ID.

iFirstDayOfWeek
HKCU\Control Panel\International

Data type Range Default value
REG_SZ 0 - 6 For U.S. English: 6

Description
Specifies which day is considered first in a week.

Value Meaning
0 Monday
1 Tuesday
2 Wednesday
3 Thursday
4 Friday
5 Saturday
6 Sunday

The calandar you see is by Explorer.exe, therefore you need to restart. Lots of fun to be had, I just got a calandar where each and every month was called "3"

Echy

Dennis said:
Maybe I'm picky but I've noticed that the history in IE shows a week
starting on Monday. In the US the week starts on a Sunday. Can the history
display be changed? Today on Monday it shows sites that I visited yesterday
as being last week.

Sunday is the first day of the week in Australia too. Local diaries
and calendars adhere to that format in the main.

Echy
Melbourne, Australia

David Candy

Plus these two US standards also make Mon 1st day of week
a.. USA Standard: ANSI X3.30-1985(R1991).
a.. USA Standard: NIST FIPS 4-1.

David Candy

Also Australian Govt just pulled all copies of Style Manual from the web and I long ago lost my book copy (which I've owned two). So can't read that.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message I'm sorry you are wrong. This is not a date/time doc for humans but for computers.

http://hydracen.com/dx/iso8601.htm (you have to do the maths yourself to work out monday is 1st day)

AS/NZS 3802:1997 : Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange - Representation of dates and times
Buy PDF File Buy Hardcopy

Product Information
Published: 05 Jan 1997 Committee: IT-001
Pages: 15

Supersedes:
DR 96322 Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange -Representation of dates and times
AS 3802-1989 Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange - Representation of dates and times

Equivalent Standard(s) Relationship
ISO 8601:1988 Identical

RA

MadDog said:
The first day of the work week for me is Saturday.

What does that mean ??

MD

The first day of my work week is Wednesday. I don't have a clue what that
means.

Ken Blake, MVP

Phil said:
'Dennis Marks' wrote, in part:
_____

Yes, you are picky.

The only two appearances of "a week starting on Monday" in 'History'
in Internet Explorer are that 'Last Week' starts on a Monday and '2
Weeks Ago' starts on a Monday. You might as well complain that 'Last
Week' doesn't start 7 days ago. Or that in most emploment situations
that Monday is the first day of the work week. In fact, NOTHING in
the USA indicates SUNDAY as the first day of the week (except the
naive assumption that the shape of a calendar indicates the first and
last days of a week.)

But to give you a properly picky answer, ISO-8601 defines MONDAY as
the first day of the week. (ISO is the International Organization for
Standardization)

Also note that most of use call Saturday and Sunday the "weekend." That
certainly implies that Monday starts the week.