Firefox bouncing around in Litestep?

R. L.

I have recently completely switched to using Litestep and
during a dicussion here I came to know that there are many
Litestep users here, too. So, for the LS users, do you find
any strange things happening with your Firefox windows (or
Xnews window) with LS virtual desktop?? Last night I notice
mine will "jump" to the next virtual desktop when I start a
new tab in Firefox (same with quite a few themes). I wonder
if it happen to others or it is just me.

--
RL
Unofficial Adaware Updater (+other goodies)

Semolina Pilchard

I have recently completely switched to using Litestep and
during a dicussion here I came to know that there are many
Litestep users here, too. So, for the LS users, do you find
any strange things happening with your Firefox windows (or
Xnews window) with LS virtual desktop?? Last night I notice
mine will "jump" to the next virtual desktop when I start a
new tab in Firefox (same with quite a few themes). I wonder
if it happen to others or it is just me.

I haven't seen that one, but I've had something analogous. A very few
websites will set my desktop flickering furiously, particularly the
bar. I've always assumed it was bad javascripts.

Here's one that does it:

www.activeware.co.uk/

For an ISP, they have one seriously b0rken site!

Wald

R. L. said:
So, for the LS users, do you find
any strange things happening with your Firefox windows (or
Xnews window) with LS virtual desktop?? Last night I notice
mine will "jump" to the next virtual desktop when I start a
new tab in Firefox (same with quite a few themes).

Not happening here... what module are you using for the virtual desktops?
I use RabidVWM, and have never seen that problem.

By the way, there's also a LiteStep mailing list with quite a friendly
climate, even for newbie questions (personal experience :) ).
Archives and subscription info are here:

http://wuzzle.org/list/index.php

Regards,
Wald

Chaos Master

Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You wrote in message
at group alt.comp.freeware said:
I have recently completely switched to using Litestep and
during a dicussion here I came to know that there are many
Litestep users here, too. So, for the LS users, do you find
any strange things happening with your Firefox windows (or
Xnews window) with LS virtual desktop?? Last night I notice
mine will "jump" to the next virtual desktop when I start a
new tab in Firefox (same with quite a few themes). I wonder
if it happen to others or it is just me.

Sometimes it happens here.

BUT, I had to uninstall my LiteStep.. something got screwed and it would crash
for no reason.

R. L.

Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You
wrote in message <[email protected]>, at
group alt.comp.freeware, on the date of Mon, 09 Aug 2004
16:05:50 GMT:
Sometimes it happens here.

BUT, I had to uninstall my LiteStep.. something got screwed
and it would crash for no reason.

You did?? What's wrong?

--
RL
My freeware here:
Pricelessware:
http://www.pricelessware.org,
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org,

R. L.

Not happening here... what module are you using for the
virtual desktops? I use RabidVWM, and have never seen that
problem.

The theme I use do you RabidVWM, but after exprimenting, I use
ckvwm and it seems to help with the problem. Perhaps when I
have time I shall try a newser version of RabidvWM, too. Did
not think of that last night.

By the way, there's also a LiteStep mailing list with quite
a friendly climate, even for newbie questions (personal
experience :) ). Archives and subscription info are here:

http://wuzzle.org/list/index.php

Thanks, seems like a good idea. Will do it.

--
RL
My freeware here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html
*note: new UAUpdater is still being worked on.
********************************
Pricelessware:
http://www.pricelessware.org,
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org,

R. L.

I haven't seen that one, but I've had something analogous.
A very few websites will set my desktop flickering
furiously, particularly the bar. I've always assumed it
was bad javascripts.

Here's one that does it:

www.activeware.co.uk/

For an ISP, they have one seriously b0rken site!

This site per se I don't have the problem. But then I saw
that I don't have the plugin, then I clicked and went here:

http://plugins.netscape.com/moreinfo.adp?PID=10047

Then found that the menu drop box in Firefox is not working
correctly. Does this happen to anyone else??? And btw, what
kind of Java plugin do I need for that site anyway??

--
RL
My freeware here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html
*note: new UAUpdater is still being worked on.
********************************
Pricelessware:
http://www.pricelessware.org,
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org,

wald

Chaos Master said:
Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You wrote

Sometimes it happens here.

BUT, I had to uninstall my LiteStep.. something got screwed and
it would crash for no reason.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix. What exactly is happening? Did you
already try to disable modules one by one? Switching themes?

Just trying to help ;-)

Wald

Chaos Master

Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You wrote in message
<[email protected]>, at group alt.comp.freeware, on the date of
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:46:32 GMT:

You did?? What's wrong?

My LiteStep started to crash, pressing CTRL ALT DEL said that LiteStep wasn't
responding, and even opening it again was no good (it would crash as soon as it
was opened).

Also, it caused MS-DOS applications running in a window to hang.

[]s

Chaos Master

Hey wald (arnout.standaert@n*o_s-p%a|m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be)! You wrote in
message <[email protected]>, at group
alt.comp.freeware, on the date of Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:27:57 +0000 (UTC):

Shouldn't be too hard to fix. What exactly is happening? Did you
already try to disable modules one by one? Switching themes?

Even with no modules installed, LiteStep gives illegal operation or crashes the
system in really ugly ways.

[]s

R. L.

Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You
wrote in message <[email protected]>, at
group alt.comp.freeware, on the date of Tue, 10 Aug 2004
03:46:32 GMT:
My LiteStep started to crash, pressing CTRL ALT DEL said
that LiteStep wasn't responding, and even opening it again
was no good (it would crash as soon as it was opened).

Sound like application conflicts to me. Perhaps there are
applications that depend on the load of explorer moduel?

Did it happen right after you install LS or LS worked for a
while then one day it just crashed?

If it is application conflict, it might not Litestep that is
crushing but something else crushing Litestep??

So after you uninstalled Litestep, explorer went fine?
Litestep do put some entries in the registry, so good thing to
do is to clean out the Litestep entry, too (perhaps also a
registry corruption?).

Also, it caused MS-DOS applications running in a window to
hang.

[]s

--
RL
My freeware here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html
*note: new UAUpdater is still being worked on.
********************************
Pricelessware:
http://www.pricelessware.org,
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org,

R. L.

Hey wald (arnout.standaert@n*o_s-p%a|m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be)!
You wrote in message
<[email protected]>, at
group alt.comp.freeware, on the date of Tue, 10 Aug 2004
07:27:57 +0000 (UTC):
Even with no modules installed, LiteStep gives illegal
operation or crashes the system in really ugly ways.

btw, 98 or xp??

--
RL
My freeware here:

Chaos Master said:
Hey wald (arnout.standaert@n*o_s-p%a|m.cit.kuleuven.ac.be)! You
wrote in message
<[email protected]>, at group
alt.comp.freeware, on the date of Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:27:57
+0000 (UTC):

Even with no modules installed, LiteStep gives illegal operation
or crashes the system in really ugly ways.

You could just download the latest release of the core LiteStep
binaries, and unzip them over your existing LiteStep installation.
If your LiteStep is a somewhat older version or one of the
variants (IndieStep or something else), maybe better completely
uninstall it and use Omar's installer:

http://www.beyondconvention.net/ohussain/lsinstaller/

Regards,
Wald

Semolina Pilchard

Even with no modules installed, LiteStep gives illegal operation or crashes the
system in really ugly ways.

That's sad. I haven't come across that before. Do you have Windows
'98? It shouldn't really matter if it's still crashing when only the
core is running, because the core is supposed to be compatible with
all the recent versions of Windows and so far as I know it is.

Perhaps a module or theme that you installed made a registry change
which caused the core behave in an unstable way even after it was
unloaded. Several modules and themes are written for Windows 2000 and
XP only.

Suggest you run Regseeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

to remove any traces left behind. Also, it might be worth raising it
on one of the discussions at litestep.net. It's a unique behaviour so
far as I know.

Chaos Master

Hey R. L. (ingomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST)! You wrote in message
at group alt.comp.freeware said:
Sound like application conflicts to me. Perhaps there are
applications that depend on the load of explorer moduel?

Did it happen right after you install LS or LS worked for a
while then one day it just crashed?

If it is application conflict, it might not Litestep that is
crushing but something else crushing Litestep??

So after you uninstalled Litestep, explorer went fine?
Litestep do put some entries in the registry, so good thing to
do is to clean out the Litestep entry, too (perhaps also a
registry corruption?).

Yes, Explorer worked. Even if the system was left with no applications running,
LiteStep crashed for no reason. It started to happen after I used the system
heavily.

One application that depends on load of Explorer is MSN Messenger (as it uses
IE for some stuff). This could have caused LS to crash but I am unsure

[]s

Chaos Master

Hey Semolina Pilchard ([email protected])! You wrote in message
<[email protected]>, at group alt.comp.freeware, on
the date of Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:41:46 +0100:

[LiteStep crash]
That's sad. I haven't come across that before. Do you have Windows
'98? It shouldn't really matter if it's still crashing when only the

Windows 98.
Perhaps a module or theme that you installed made a registry change
which caused the core behave in an unstable way even after it was
unloaded. Several modules and themes are written for Windows 2000 and
XP only.

I was using the default theme (austerity) from Omar's installer. I tried some
themes once, but they caused total screwup (using the 'grdtransparent' module
which is no work for 98) and I done uninstall/reinstall LiteStep
Suggest you run Regseeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

to remove any traces left behind. Also, it might be worth raising it
on one of the discussions at litestep.net. It's a unique behaviour so
far as I know.

I will try this.

Thanks

R. L.

I will try this.

And, delete temp folder if you haven't. Sometimes serious
crashes left things behind there.

Too bad, I hope it will work out for you. I got so hooked on
Litestep now and I don't really even want to boot to explorer
anymore unless I have to.

--
RL
My freeware here: