Windows XP File size error - DVD VOB files copied onto DVD

Reaction score
Way back in 2005 I had decoded files from a couple of DVD's via an Apple Laptop (That's what my friend had), while on a visit to Japan.
Apple copied the file as 1 single 4GB+ file.

When I got back home and played the file on my Windows XP, the DVD played just over 40 minutes and stopped.
Windows only recognised the file size as 1.99GB - file limitations by XP.
My DVD player also did not play the whole DVD.

I came across the single file DVD's and just before tossing them into the garbage bin wanted to know if there is any way to go around this.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I think you may have your technologies mixed up.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Decoded, DVD played, 1.99GB file size.

It sounds a lot like you ripped a DVD movie from your friend and are attempting to play the AVI file (or other format in which it was ripped). I do not know how you copied that file, but it seems as if something was a bit off when you did. I don't know how you can get only half of a single copied file, as I have never encountered it other than potential downloads from the Internet. And even those won't work at all due to being incomplete.

More, correct, information is required. Have your friend send you the disc so you can rip it again, properly. OR, go buy the DVD you ripped from your friend. Those are pretty much the options you have if you don't have the original 4GB file from the Apple machine.

Reaction score
It would probably be easier to buy it now if it was back 2005 be worth only pennies now

Go look on Amazon or play

Unless it was a personal DVD? Family etc?

If that's the case ask him to rip it too an AVI and use an upload site to put it on so you may DL it

Reaction score
Is there any program or patch that enables windows Xp to read Files more than 2GB in size.

else i wil have to just throw these disc away.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Did you look at my link at all? It lays out the file sizes in XP. You would have to install an archaic file system to only get 2GB file sizes. XP supports 4GB files.

Logically, either you don't have Windows XP, you are mistaken on the version of Windows you have installed, you are mistaken at the size of the file or there is an issue with your disc.

Are you certain that these are 4GB DVDs?

To answer the actual question in the post: No, there is not. The only option is to upgrade Windows to something higher than XP.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I seem to remember Win 32bit OS having an AVI file limit of 2gb ... most just changed the codec used. :)

Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a newer file system for CD and DVD developed and managed by the Optical Storage Technology Association as the successor to the ISO 9660 standard. UDF overcomes limitations of ISO 9660 and redirectors such as CDFS. UDF is used to ensure compatibility across platforms, as well as among various CD and DVD applications. UDF is required for DVDs, and is used by DVD to contain MPEG audio/video streams, UDF is also used by CD-R and CD-RW in a process called packet writing that makes CD writing more efficient in terms of the time and disk space required.

:user:

Ask a Question