file sharing

L

lewis rothstein

My WindowsXP Home edition, by default, doesn't allow network file sharing without a user password. Since I am the only user of my PC, is there a way to permit Network accessing without a password in WindowsXP Home edition? I think it can be done with XP Professional.
Thanks.......Lewis

G

Gordon

My WindowsXP Home edition, by default, doesn't allow network file sharing without a user password. Since I am the only user of my PC, is there a way to permit Network accessing without a password in WindowsXP Home edition? I think it can be done with XP Professional.
Thanks.......Lewis

What sort of network? Peer-to-peer or domain?

L

lewis rothstein

Just Microsoft Windows Network to file share on other PCs in my home.
Lewis
Thanks.......Lewis

G

Gordon

Lewis
Thanks.......Lewis

Not overly sure about Home edition but if you create the same accounts on all machines with the same access rights and the same password then you should be able to log on to the shared folders with no password prompt.

L

lewis rothstein

I am sure you are right. But the problem is that Home Edition requires that users originally have a password to begin with, as you mentioned, and I am trying to avoid the slight annoyance of having to enter a password whenever I boot up. XP PRO also wants passwords but they have a workaround via the Administrative Tools|Local Security Policy. I was hoping for something similar in XP Home. Thanks...Lewis
Lewis
Thanks.......Lewis

Not overly sure about Home edition but if you create the same accounts on all machines with the same access rights and the same password then you should be able to log on to the shared folders with no password prompt.

G

Gordon

I am sure you are right. But the problem is that Home Edition requires that users originally have a password to begin with, as you mentioned, and I am trying to avoid the slight annoyance of having to enter a password whenever I boot up. XP PRO also wants passwords but they have a workaround via the Administrative Tools|Local Security Policy. I was hoping for something similar in XP Home. Thanks...Lewis
Lewis
Thanks.......Lewis

Ah. Well that's a completely different issue, which you didn't mention in your original post.

Go here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

and scroll down to the section on automatic login.

HTH

L

lewis rothstein

Thank you very much, Gordon!
Lewis
Thanks.......Lewis

Ah. Well that's a completely different issue, which you didn't mention in your original post.

Go here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

and scroll down to the section on automatic login.

HTH

Ask a Question