G

I have windows XP and it has a very useful view in file manager called
filmstrip, excellent for choosing photos. The trouble is, the option keeps
disappearing. One day it will be in the list of views and the next it won't,
only to appear again the next week or month. Does anyone know why it does
this and how I can keep this view as a menu choice permanently? I made all my
photo folders, and there are a lot of them, have this view but now they have
all changed back to thumbnails and filmstrip isn't listed. One day I even
noticed it was an option for some folders but not for others.
Can anyone help?

K

Keith Miller MVP

The 'filmstrip' view option is only available in folders that are customized with a folder template
of 'Pictures' or Photo Album'

If you folders aren't retaining the views you set for them despite checking 'Remember each folder's
view settings' on the 'View' tab of the Folder Options dialog, then you have probably reached the
limit for saved views.

You can use my script to clear out your currently saved views and reapply the settings you want.
Here's the canned description:

I've written a script that will apply all the view customizations you can set to all of a folder's
subfolders. Right-click the link below & save to your computer. The zip file contains a readme
file & the script itself.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FVM3.zip

You can select a folder & configure its view settings, then those are set to be inherited by all
subfolders (you have the option of saving or wiping out current saved views) . You can set a
default for My Pics, another for My Music, and then a more generic default for My Computer. The
inheritance settings are separate from the folder view itself -- for example, you can set a
non-grouped view to be the default inheritance for My Computer, then return My Computer to its
standard 'group by type' layout after running the script without affecting the default view you have
set.

Ask a Question