Windows XP File creation date not showing in explorer

Reaction score
I am in the process of scanning in numerous old photographs and I thought it would be an idea to change the file creation date to the date on which (approx) the photograph was taken. I am using ninotech dateedit for this. It works fine. If I right-click a file and look at its properties it gives the new creation date. However, on adding the date created column to details view in explorer it seems that any date prior to about 1980 is simply shown as blank. Can this be altered or is it a feature of explorer?

I have tried a few replacements for windows explorer and so far they all appear to have the same behaviour which suggests it is linked into the OS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the earliest date that a PC can deal with is Jan 4th 1980 - as there was no need to have date capacity before this point ;)

I don't think you'll be able to get around this, so it might be better to watermark the images with the date you need :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If I remember correctly, the earliest date that a PC can deal with is Jan 4th 1980 - as there was no need to have date capacity before this point ;)

I don't think you'll be able to get around this, so it might be better to watermark the images with the date you need :)

Many thanks for the response, that certainly fits in with my testing of explorer. However, I have finally found a (free) replacement for explorer, freecommander, which will show the altered created date correctly.

Ask a Question