File Association problem with audio formats

G

Hi!

I had some problem with a lesser know audio format, that led me to use:
[Tools - Folder Options - File Types] in Explorer. I can't remember clearly what was the problem, but i decided to delete that file format from that long list and re-add it using that "New"-button. Then i typed in the 3 letters into that "File Extension"- box (can't remember if that was "hes" or "gym"). Since i noticed that "Advanced"-button, i had to click it:
So then i saw that long selection for "Associated File Type" and without thinking, i chose "Winamp Media File" - since i use it for listening to various audio formats.

So, all was good... until i swiched from Winamp 5.01 to Winamp 5.03.

The problem is that it makes all audio formats into "Winamp media file". No bad it might seem at first, but the thing is: normally a "mid" file would have "MIDI Sequence" for its description next to "Type of file" in file properties accessed with right mouse-click and selecting the last option. And "mp3" file would have "MP3 audio file (mp3)" - the same description can be seen when u view files in a folder using the Details View and watch that File Type column.

Still not big problem one might say, but u see: i use a program named Icon Packager that creates an extra tab called "Icon" in file Properties window, so i can easily change icons of different file types. I have different icons for all audio formats that i use, because it makes it easier to tell the difference between them when there are lots of them together (formats like: mp3, ogg, ape, flac, gym, vgm, nfs, etc.)

And now for the real problem:
I trigered it when i first opened file Properties window after the new install of Winamp. When i change anything and click "OK", all other audio formats that Winamp can open will have the same description and icon as that audio file... eg. when in Properties window i change name, file description or icon of lets say a midi file, then all other audio formats such as mp3 will have the icon and File Type description as that midi file. The screen refreshes noticeably after i click OK - most notable is the change of the icon. I've tried to fix this by reinstalling Winamp many times with or without Winamp Agent and file associations. And i've tried different options in Winamp to manage file associations. After i uninstall Winamp, everything is alright. The description of File Type is what it should be and if i change the icon of one filetype (eg. mp3), then only all mp3 files will have that icon - other audio formats (eg. mid or wav) will have what they had before. And those audio files that can be opened with the default player (WMP) will open with it, without changing its file description to "WMP media file" and have a chain reaction that names other audio files description the same.

Now i think the problem lies within the stuff i made in first paragraph. I just hope there's another way of fixing it without format c.

Thanks in advance!

G

You're too long winded to get a quick response. Restate your situation/problem
in no more than one paragraph which may get a response.

jake t said:
Hi!

I had some problem with a lesser know audio format, that led me to use:
[Tools - Folder Options - File Types] in Explorer. I can't remember clearly what was the problem, but i decided to delete that file format from that long list and re-add it using that "New"-button. Then i typed in the 3 letters into that "File Extension"- box (can't remember if that was "hes" or "gym"). Since i noticed that "Advanced"-button, i had to click it:
So then i saw that long selection for "Associated File Type" and without thinking, i chose "Winamp Media File" - since i use it for listening to various audio formats.

So, all was good... until i swiched from Winamp 5.01 to Winamp 5.03.

The problem is that it makes all audio formats into "Winamp media file". No bad it might seem at first, but the thing is: normally a "mid" file would have "MIDI Sequence" for its description next to "Type of file" in file properties accessed with right mouse-click and selecting the last option. And "mp3" file would have "MP3 audio file (mp3)" - the same description can be seen when u view files in a folder using the Details View and watch that File Type column.

Still not big problem one might say, but u see: i use a program named Icon Packager that creates an extra tab called "Icon" in file Properties window, so i can easily change icons of different file types. I have different icons for all audio formats that i use, because it makes it easier to tell the difference between them when there are lots of them together (formats like: mp3, ogg, ape, flac, gym, vgm, nfs, etc.)

And now for the real problem:
I trigered it when i first opened file Properties window after the new install of Winamp. When i change anything and click "OK", all other audio formats that Winamp can open will have the same description and icon as that audio file... eg. when in Properties window i change name, file description or icon of lets say a midi file, then all other audio formats such as mp3 will have the icon and File Type description as that midi file. The screen refreshes noticeably after i click OK - most notable is the change of the icon. I've tried to fix this by reinstalling Winamp many times with or without Winamp Agent and file associations. And i've tried different options in Winamp to manage file associations. After i uninstall Winamp, everything is alright. The description of File Type is what it should be and if i change the icon of one filetype (eg. mp3), then only all mp3 files will have that icon - other audio formats (eg. mid or wav) will have what they had before. And those audio files that can be opened with the default player (WMP) will open with it, without changing its file description to "WMP media file" and have a chain reaction that names other audio files description the same.

Now i think the problem lies within the stuff i made in first paragraph. I just hope there's another way of fixing it without format c.

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question