field def problem when importing from Excel

Keith G Hicks

Using Access03 but a2k format.

I'm pretty sure this has worked for me in the past but I could be mistaken.
When I import an Excel spreadsheet using the import wizard, I have no option
to set the field definitions in the wizard. The pages in the wizard are as
follows:

1. "First Row Contains Column Headings" (this is fine)
2. "In a new table" or choose an existing table (this is fine)
3. This page is supposed to let you click on the columns and specify a field
name, data type, etc. for each column. However, no matter which column I
click in the grid at the bottom of the page, the options at the top do not
change. It always shows the first column. I am unable to change anythign for
any other columsn. In addition, I cannot change the field type of the first
column. It's grayed out.

The import actually works ok but one of the columsn is not importing as I
need it to be. It's a zip code column where quite a few are 5+4 digit zips.
Access is forcing that column to type "double" and putting all the entries
that are like "12547-1243" into an import errors table. In addition, any zip
codes that start with 0's are coming in incorrectly. This is a big problem
as zip codes are NOT really numeric (especially if there are any Canadian
ones in there, eh?). I know I can change the field types after the import
and manually go over the data and make corrections, but it's not supposed to
work that way. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

Pieter Wijnen

Change the following key (mine is set to 25 rows)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel]
"TypeGuessRows"=dword:00000019

HtH

Pieter

Keith G Hicks

I read this webpage:
http://dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2004/06/03/external-data-mixed-data-typ
es/
And my setting is hex 19 (decimal 25). Which makes no sense because
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189897 says it cannot be higher than 16.
I don't see what this will do to solve my problem anyway. All that should do
is to tell Access to scan 25 rows instead of 19. How do I turn on the
feature that lets me set the datatype manually in the wizard?

Keith

"Pieter Wijnen"
<it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace

Keith G Hicks said:
[...]

I agree with you (one of the reasons I insist on tab seperated text files if
possible).
& the setting was a test by me that I haven't reset, due to the same
problem.
The only "solution" AFAIK is to "prepare" the Excel sheet beforehand

Pieter

Keith G Hicks said:
[...]

Fortunately this import is small enough that I can handle some manual
modifications. But where I'm really lost is that this used to work. I just
tried it on a tab delimited text file and I have the same problem. There is
no way to edit the field types in the wizard. Now I knwo this used to work
at one time, maybe in an earlier version of Access because I clearly
remember doing this before. Anyone know when Microsoft was gracious enough
to introduce this bug and why it was never fixed?!?!?!?

Keith

Jamie Collins

I read this webpage:http://dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2004/06/03/external-data-mixed-d...
es/
And my setting is hex 19 (decimal25). Which makes no sense becausehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/189897says it cannot be higher than 16.
I don't see what this will do to solve my problem anyway. All that should do
is to tell Access to scan 25 rows instead of 19.

I think the KB articles means that 16 is the considered maximum e.g.
you can specify a higher value but it won't be honoured. I suggest you
change the value to zero, which should result in *all* rows being
scanned.

Jamie.