family tree maker

Susan Bugher

Vic said:
Does anyone know of a simple basic family tree maker?

Simple basic meaning you want to do what? More info might get you better
answers. . .

The usual suspects are listed here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#8.07Genealogy

also there is SmartGenealogy:
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/

I think I'm going to give that one a try - real soon now. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Vic Dura

I find Personal Ancestral File the easiest of all the programs
(including commercial ones) in which to enter data. Other programs
have their own strongpoints. I would use several.

Thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. I decided to go
with FAF v5 because it was the smallest in download size that
satisfied my needs. Since I'm on a 48k dial-up, that was an important
factor. BTW, some of these programs are fairly large.

GenoPro was smaller and seemed to be centered around a graphical
family-tree type presentation. I liked that, but the required
graphical manipulations seemed to quickly get cumbersome.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Vic Dura

Thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. I decided to go
with FAF v5 because it was the smallest in download size that

That should be PFA v5 as in Personal Ancestral File.

Ardent

GenoPro was smaller and seemed to be centered around a graphical
family-tree type presentation. I liked that, but the required
graphical manipulations seemed to quickly get cumbersome.

Geno Pro is not free.

If you, however, use that beware of the Auto arrange option - that
plays havoc with your graphics - the author said he was trying to sort
this out but I am not sure whether he has done it now :-(