"From:"Microsoft Security Center"
<[email protected]> | This is spam | Add to
Address Book
To:Microsoft (e-mail address removed)
Subject:Microsoft Security Pack
Date:Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:43:50 +0200 (CEST)

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the
"July 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates
all known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet
Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five
newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect
your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious
of which could allow an attacker to run executable on your
system. This update includes the functionality of all
previously released patches.

System requirements
Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to
Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later Microsoft Outlook
Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation
Customers should install the patch at the earliest
opportunity.

How to install
Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.

How to use
You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base
articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support
web site. For security-related information about Microsoft
products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web
site, or Contact us.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an
unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to
any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Best regards from
Microsoft Security Center"

When I did a virus scan of the attached file using Norton,
it returned with a message that the file is infected with
the virus below:

"Scan Results [Original Message]

File name:p397941.exe
File type:application/x-msdownload
Scan result:Virus W32.Gibe.B@mm found. File not cleaned."

Has anyone from this newsgroup received similar e-mail like
this one?

Sleepless

Alvin A Brown

Hello

I have send that message a few times and was also sent to me
but I just delete as soon as I see it,

Alvin

Jim Macklin

Everyone has gotten this email. Microsoft has a warning
about it on the support webpage.
There are several variations of this, some pretend to be
from Microsoft, some are listed as from "postmaster" as
"returned mail" some are about 214 KB with an attachment and
some are linked to hostile websites that will plant a Trojan
or other evil virus package.

Microsoft does not send updates, attachments and such. If
you sign up for email notification while on the Windows
Update page, you will get a simple email from MS that says
go to your start menu.windows update because there is a
regularly issued update.

Being on these MS news groups is a primary source for the
scum who dislike MS and seek to send their trash to users.

message | Hello all,

| I receive an e-mail from supposedly the "Microsoft
Security
| Center" that contained a file that was supposed to be a
| "Microsoft Security Pack". The e-mail says to install
| this pack to eliminate known security vulnerabilities as
| well as five new ones. Below is a copy of the e-mail.
|
| "From:"Microsoft Security Center"
| <[email protected]> | This is spam | Add to
| Address Book
| To:Microsoft (e-mail address removed)
| Subject:Microsoft Security Pack
| Date:Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:43:50 +0200 (CEST)
|
| Microsoft Customer
|
| this is the latest version of security update, the
| "July 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates
| all known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet
| Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five
| newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect
| your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious
| of which could allow an attacker to run executable on your
| system. This update includes the functionality of all
| previously released patches.
|
| System requirements
| Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP
| This update applies to
| Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
| Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later Microsoft
Outlook
| Express, version 4.01 and later
|
| Recommendation
| Customers should install the patch at the earliest
| opportunity.
|
| How to install
| Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.
|
| How to use
| You don't need to do anything after installing this item.
|
| Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base
| articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support
| web site. For security-related information about Microsoft
| products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web
| site, or Contact us.
|
| Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an
| unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to
| any replies.
|
| Thank you for using Microsoft products.
|
| Best regards from
| Microsoft Security Center"
|

| When I did a virus scan of the attached file using Norton,
| it returned with a message that the file is infected with
| the virus below:
|
| "Scan Results [Original Message]
|
| File name:p397941.exe
| File type:application/x-msdownload
| Scan result:Virus W32.Gibe.B@mm found. File not cleaned."
|
| Has anyone from this newsgroup received similar e-mail
like
| this one?
|
| Sleepless

Al Hall

I too got this message and deleted it when I saw the
sender's dodgy e-mail - always a wise move with
unsolicited mail, so I've been advised. Can't help feeling
that the short period between me posting my e-mail on an
earlier message on this forum and receiving this prank
message isn't entirely coincidential? One good reason not
to be too free and easy with diclosing your e-mail address
I suppose.

WinXP Blues

Hi Al,

I too, noticed that I have received two e-mail notes within
a few days of me posting my e-mail address on this
newsgroup containing viruses. It's a good thing that I am
cautious with strange e-mail coming from strange addresses.
I post material here only to help other and also get help
for myself in areas that I don't have knowledge of. I
will continue to do. I won't let a couple of individuals
with bad intentions spoil my time on this newsgroup. I hope
this serve as a warning to the rest of the newsgroup to
make sure you scan any attachments in unsolicited e-mail
with strange e-mail addresses. Thanks all and have a
wonderful weekend.

Sleepless