Failed to configure DHCP & DNS services under windows 2000

Emil Lam

Hi,

I installed windows 2000 server in my harddisk with 2 NTFS partitions
(server installed at C:). After boot up and installing necessary
video, sound drivers, my computer successfully boot up as a standalone
machine.

Next, I started to configure DHCP & DNS. Since I have only one hub and
several computers available, I determined to configure this win2000
configured PC as domain controller, DHCP & DNS servers. I clicked
select DHCP & DNS under networking services component and told
installation wizard to install at least (actually I also selected IIS,
WINS, etc). According to display, these services were installed.

Besides, I assigned a fixed IP 192.168.1.1/24 to this win2000 PC under
IP property sheet. I also assigned 192.168.1.1 as default gateway
primary DNS address.

As I rebooted the PC, windows prompted me at least one peripheral
device or driver program encountered error. I opened DHCP & DNS
configuration and found that both DHCP & DNS not started at all
although configuration setting window told me selected components had
been installed.

I typed ipconfig /all and found that IP address, subnet mask, default
gateway address and DNS servers address were assigned as expected.

I opened DHCP configuration tool, originally under DHCP tree there was
nothing there. So I assigned a new server and entered 192.168.1.1, the
tool then popped up the server's name (my case called 1700ibm40g which
was my computer's name recognized by windows 2000). Still, the DHCP
tool told me that it couldn't find the DHCP server (but this PC should
be the DHCP server!), error is link control code invalid (I don't know
if the original English text is exactly this since I translate the
original Chinese text directly).

I opened DNS configuration tool, similar error found. It told me
windows couldn't contact DNS server (again, this PC was assigned by me
as DNS server as well!).

I checked event log and found below messages (I translated them from
Chinese so the actual English version message may not be that):

Application log

Msg 1:
Source: PerfNet
Event Id: 2002
Error DWORD 0 (byte value 0000: 34 00 00 c0)

Msg 2:
Source: PerfNet
Event Id: 2004
Error DWORD 0 (byte value 0000: 34 00 00 c0)

Msg 3:
Source: ESENT
Event Id: 101

Security log

Empty

System log

Msg1:
Source: Service Control Manager
Event Id: 7023
Unknown certification service.

Msg2:
Source: DhcpServer
Event Id: 1008
certification service.
Error bytes 0000: d3 06 00 00

Msg2:
Source: DhcpServer
Event Id: 1006
certification service.
Error bytes 0000: d3 06 00 00

Msg3:
Source: Service Control Manager
Event Id: 7003
service: NTLmSsp

DNS Server log

Empty

I checked the services status and found that DHCP client and DNS
client services were started but DHCP server & DNS server service
status were empty.

Of course, the active directory service was not working. I've tried
force install it with installation wizard following troubleshooting
guideline but it failed (with general error) after I assigned the
domain name (I tried magic-pro.com, magic-pro.local, 1700ibm80g.com,
1700ibm80g.local but all failed) & NETBIOS name.

I read through help file accompanied server installation CDs and found
no cases describing how to troubleshoot my case.

Could anyone give me hints on how to approach this problem. I would
like to supplement that currently there was only one PC (that one I
installed windows 2000 server) plugged into my hub throughout the
above configuration process.

Tks!

Emil Lam

(e-mail address removed) (Emil Lam) wrote in message
I have used add/delete program option to remove DHCP, DNS, WINS, WWW,
FTP from installing. Then I add them one by one. I only selected DHCP
& DNS and let windows 2000 to do the rest for me. Installation failed
because of general network error (but I have already connected the PC
to my hub).

Then I removed all previously installed components and reboot windows
2000. At server configuration window, windows 2000 asked if I
designate this server as the only domain controller I replied yes.
Then installation of components continue automatically like DNS, DHCP,
IIS components. But again installation complained error and said that
active directory installation failed because of general network error.

I would like to test the installation of DNS alone. Is it possible to
install DNS without installing active directory ?

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++
HELP! HELP!! HELP!!!
++++++++++++++++++++

Update status
-------------

To test network connection from my windows 2000 server really works. I
do the followings:

1. I connect my server PC to a 10Mbps hub. Server IP set to
192.168.1.1/24 I also connect another notebook with Windows ME
installed to the same hub, notebook IP set to 192.168.1.6/24.

2. I reboot both computers and found that after reboot, both of them
can ping each other's IP successfully, meaning TCP/IP in both
computers are correct.

3. At 2000 server side, I added 'File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Network' & 'Client for Microsoft Networks' services besides
TCP/IP services. Also, the 2000 server PC has already been assigned to
group 'WORKGROUP' which is the same workgroup as my ME notebook.

4. After reboot, both the 2000 server & ME notebook can see each
other's computer icon. Also, as I shared all drives for full access in
my ME notebook, I can open files & launch programs in ME notebook from
my 2000 server. So I confirmed the network connection between the
computers worked somehow.

5. I tried to access 2000 server from ME notebook by double clicking
2000 server icon from ME notebook network neighbourhood list. Then a
window immediate popped up requesting me to supply password for \\2000
server\IPC$ resource. I typed enter only since I set no password for
all accounts in 2000 server. Of course I was rejected for access
further.

6. Then I added a new share name 'IBMC' my 2000 server C:. By default
everyone group is assigned full access to this new share. After I
reboot the 2 computers I retried step 5 and found the same result.

7. I added 'network', 'interactive' & 'guests' groups to the share
'IBMC' and assign them full access to C: of my 2000 server. I reboot
both computers again. This time when I tried access 2000 server from
ME notebook, I got error message 'Unable to access \\2000 server'
because there is no privilege to the resource.

I would like to ask below questions:

1. After trying step 1-4 I can certain that network connection between
my 2000 server & any external computer is no problem even at
application level. But this applies to when I configure fixed IP
addresses to concerned computer only. I still couldn't configure DHCP
in my 2000 server (see past text for details). I would like to know
why and what can I do now.

2. Even if I can 'bring' my 2000 server (NTFS partition) to my private
network, I still couldn't make other computers to access directories
in this server. Why will this happens ? What can I do to enable
sharing of directories from this server ?

Thanks:)