Excel Extract Text from decimal separated string

Reaction score
Hello forum members,

I am new to this forum.

Please help me with an excel forumla for extracting specific text from a decimal separated alphanumeric strings below
B.01.08.52.AB.1 - want to extract "AB"
B.02.10.A.56.57.1 - want to extract "A"

Thanks in advance,

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome :)

Need a bit more information here... What is the criteria behind selecting those letters? What format do the strings take - eg does it always start with a letter? etc.

Reaction score
Welcome :)

Need a bit more information here... What is the criteria behind selecting those letters? What format do the strings take - eg does it always start with a letter? etc.

Yes, the string always starts with a letter. But two criteria, letter "B" and letter "C" . When It starts with letter "B", its Beam, and "C" means Column.

Thank you.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I still don't understand the mechanism behind selecting the data...

B.01.08.52.AB.1 - want to extract "AB"
B.02.10.A.56.57.1 - want to extract "A"

eg Why has AB been chosen from the first string? Why has A been chosen from the second string?

Reaction score
I still don't understand the mechanism behind selecting the data...

eg Why has AB been chosen from the first string? Why has A been chosen from the second string?

This is because of two different beams are used for construction. For me, I have to make daily delivery report based on those codes.

Thanks

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I still don't understand the criteria for selecting the letters from the string. In Excel, you have to be able to explicitly state what data you want - for example, the 4th character in a string. But if you don't tell me the selection criteria then I'm afraid I can't help you :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you want to extract any letters in the string, excluding the first character?

Would that work, or could there be multiple instances of letters within the string? I.e. B.03.A.56.AB?

Ask a Question