External storage options

bradsalmon

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an external storage solution and am thinking
that the 300GB units I've seen are pretty good value. I've narrowed the
choice down to two, one which has a SATA drive and the other a standard
drive.

So the question is, any ideas on whether the SATA version would really
increase performance and so warrant the extra £13 or should I save
myself a few pints and get the bog standard one?

USB External Portable SATA 300GB Hard Drive
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2F742E9C

USB External Portable 300GB Hard Drive UK
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E30812E9C

My current set-up includes a Windows 98 (USB1) machine and a couple of
Windows XP(USB2) machines. Once the initial file transfers are done I
expect to simply use the files directly from the drive and so on
initial web diggings the speed differences look pretty good -

USB 2.0 at 480 MBits/sec
SATA at 150 MBits/sec
IDE disks at 30-40 MBits/sec

but are these true?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or other just as long ramblings :)

Brad

Adam

First mistake, BUYING FROM EBAY!! DONT DO IT!
Prices are under priced and shipping is always JACKED UP THROUGH THE
ROOF!!

[...]

Papa

High shipping costs are not always the case with Ebay purchases, and there
should be no surprises about the shipping cost because that can be
determined BEFORE bidding. If the shipping cost is not provided, one can
contact the seller and ask. If they won't tell you, find a seller that will.

For any Ebay purchase (and I have saved big bucks by using Ebay), the thing
to do is to find out everything (sellers feedback record, shipping cost,
full description, condition, etc.) BEFORE bidding. Leave as little as
possible undetermined.

Adam

Not ALL ebay items have shipping priced before u buy them, some you have to
ask to find out. For instance, I can find a hard drive for 5.99 with 15
dollar shipping charge, now why would I want to do that, unless of course
the hard drive is an 80 gig or somthing

Papa

Hi Adam:

I stand by what I said. Like any business segment, there are risks involved
by buying at Ebay. However, like any business segment, common sense will
reap rewards and carelessness will not.

Regards.

bradsalmon

Like buying from any shop (internet or not) I always compare prices and
in this case I can't find an external 300GB USB drive for anything
close to the £107 advertised here.

Anyway, back to the original question, does anyone think the SATA drive
would be worth the extra £13.
First mistake, BUYING FROM EBAY!! DONT DO IT!
Prices are under priced and shipping is always JACKED UP THROUGH THE
ROOF!!
<snip>

ggull

Anyway, back to the original question, does anyone think the SATA drive
would be worth the extra £13.

---------------
See the discussion "SATA vs PATA: in external case" on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storate.
I think the consensus was that unless you have an external SATA connector on
the computer and use a SATA cable direct from drive to computer - i.e. if
you're using a USB2 connection -- SATA makes little if any difference.

Anna

Here is Brad's original query...

[...]

(He rec'd a number of responses having to do with the pitfalls of buying on
EBay)
ews:[email protected]...

ggull said:
See the discussion "SATA vs PATA: in external case" on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storate.
I think the consensus was that unless you have an external SATA connector
on the computer and use a SATA cable direct from drive to computer - i.e.
if you're using a USB2 connection -- SATA makes little if any difference.

Brad:
ggull is correct in that if you install a SATA HD (be it a SATA I or the
newer so-called SATA II (more correctly named SATA-IO) drives that a
interface data rate of 3.0 Gb/s in a USB external HD enclosure, you will see
no appreciable performance difference between the PATA and SATA drives.
Simply stated, basic data transfer speed will operate at USB 2.0 speeds.

As inferred by ggull, the advantage - and it's an enormous advantage - of
using a SATA HD as an external storage device is when you can directly
connect the SATA drive's signal (data) cable directly to one of the
computer's internal SATA connectors (or the motherboard's eSATA external
port should the motherboard contain this desirable feature). In that
situation the SATA HD will be operating at speeds far in excess of what one
would experience using the USB interface. And to facilitate this
arrangement, a separate power supply would *not* be needed by the SATA HD
since power could be supplied directly to the drive by the computer's power
supply. We've been using this arrangement on a number of computers with very
happy results. We use SATA-IO drives that simply reside in a removable tray
of a hard drive mobile rack designed for SATA removable drives. (Actually,
you could just as well plop the SATA HD in a cigar box and just run the
signal/power cables to the computer, but you understand for obvious reasons
we're not recommending that approach!). BTW, there's a relatively
inexpensive device (about $10) we're been using that acts as an interface
between the SATA HD and the computer's SATA connector and power supply. It
simply attaches to the backplane of the computer case's I/O area.

But I guess this arrangement would not be practicable in your situation
since I take it one or more of the machines you're working with are not
SATA-equipped and therefore you need the USB interface for
interchangeability considerations. But I thought this background information
might be useful to you for future consideration.

If you do go the USB route, i.e., using a USB external HD enclosure, do
consider a SATA HD (preferably the SATA-IO models with the 3 Gb/s data
interface) for installation in a SATA USBEHD enclosure. At some future time
you may want to use that drive as an internal HD in a SATA machine.
Obviously there's a cost factor to be considered. 300 GB SATA-IO drives are
selling for about $160 here in the States; not too terribly expensive as
compared with similar capacity PATA drives.
Anna

ggull

ggull said:
See the discussion "SATA vs PATA: in external case" on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storate. news:lbvHf.652$U2.510@trndny08...
er, that's comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage .... storage with a 'g'
..... if you wanted to look this up. Or just what Anna says.