External HD samsung SP0822n not showing as unit on xp

zero

Buyed an external hd, it was suppoused to plug and play without formatting
on xp. The disc is on device manager properly recongized and also shows in
tray an icon to quit hardware safely. But in MyPc there is no icon at all. I
guess it should appear as Unit G: but that doesn't happen.

The disk is there in device manager but in local disk admin appears with a
red and white icon (similar to stop signal) as Disc 1 non initialized. The
wizard tries to initilize the disc but fails with an unknonw error.

So went to another pc using windows xp and did the same: in that pc was
sucessfuly initialized, and formated the external disc, then reboot, and
disc shown as G:

Came back to the pc I use and same problem (disk is there but appears as non
initialized) that tells me is there something stopping that disk in my pc
And the external disc in fact works but NOT on the pc I use.

I'm desesperated now because I've tried everything and CANT make that
samsung work in my own pc.

Tried
1) Unplug the drive. Go into the device manager and uninstall the driver
(it'll be hidden so you'll have to show it). Restart Windows and try again.

2) Temporarily uninstall antivirus and firewall software (and disconnect
from the internet). Restart Windows and try again. It would probably be
advisable to uninstall the driver too.

When I plug in mine again, the same thing: Appears as Disc1, tries to run
wizard that fails saying that I should check "registro de suscesos del
sistema" something like system error logs, where it figures an LDM (local
disk managment I assume) error unknown or not specified 80004005 it ocurrs
when you try to initialize the disc1 (I don't understand why I must do that
again I expected to happily see a G unit as in my other pc.

Is the drive visible in the disk manager?
Yes, as Disc 1 non initialized, unknown on left and Un asigned on right (in
my own pc)

In the other pc appeared befor ok initialized,o n screen , correct and shows
in Mypc, etc

Tried contacting samsung support they have an utility but does absolutely
nothing just provides a txt file report with strings like
=== PAGE DIRECTORY (CR3:00000000) ==============
PDE_001[00000004] : 00700000 18b
PDE_003[0000000c] : 00700000 18b

Tried entering bios setup but didn't help either.
Tried reviewing tweak ui settings and autoplay is enabled for external
discs.

Never imagined that could be that complicated. I'd appreciate your help
about it, still can't make it work...

Terry Danmat_UK

One quick suggestion which you may have already tried, is to try the HD
plugged into a different USB port. Especially if the USB port you are
using is an add-on card, if so plug into a port which is off the the
motherboard. If you are using a USB Hub then I'll bet that this is the
problem.
Hope I'm on the right track.
If this does not work - please leave a message here to say so to
encourage others to continue offering help.

Regards

--
Terry - Danmat_UK
www.danmat.com

zero

I already tried that, my pc has 2 ports on front an 2 on back, makes no
difference this far.
Is not an usb problem I guess since the disc is there (you can see it in
device manager and quit hardware safely icon appears on try) what tells me
ubs is working ok.

"Terry Danmat_UK" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
[...]

The Sp0822n drive, checking with Samsung,is a standard IDE drive for
internal fitting. So that means that you have this drive mounted into an
External Housing. What manufacture is this?

--

zero said:
[...]

If you are talking about that it has a metallic cover "Noga.net"...

zero said:
[...]

Zero, this is apparently not a USB problem, as I'm getting the same error
code with a SCSI drive that I'm attempting to add.pfsullivan

alinut1979 said:
Alinut: didn't you READ Zero's problem? Zero has done thru step 3 of that
list, but he's having trouble initilizing the drive, which means both that
a) windows realizes that there is a disc drive there; and b) that windows
(apparently) doesn't know how to initilize it!

Zero: this may be a hardware incompatibility issue: the Seagate drive I'm
having trouble with may not be compatible with Win XP. (According to Seagate)
Could someone post a current link to the hardware compatability list? (HCL)
The one in my HELP section is out of date...
zero a scris: