External HD incorrectly identified in XP Home - No Access (updated version of "Disaster" post-new in

G

Hello again. This is a copy of the email I sent to the guys who made my external hard drive, Acomdata. But since I trust this group's opinion more (not to mention promptness) and because I included incomplete info in my last post (most replies were for clarification) I decided to repost

Please help if you can
and thanks in advance

Please reply in post
-------------------------

Hello

I've recently changed from an instillation of XP Pro, under which your drive ran perfectly, to an instillation of XP Home, and now I can't get access to the drive other than to unistall its drivers. Please help me access the drive, below is a list of everything I know about the situation

-I'm using the Firewire connection, with a 3Com 1394 .90V Net Adaptor (latest driver installed, 5.1.2535.0) and a Texas Instruments 1394 Bus Host controller called OHCI Compliant, which seems to have no newer driver

-I'm using XP Home with SP1 updates. However, I couldn't access the drive before I installed these either

-The drive does not appear in "My Computer

-This is how it appears in the Device Manager

Disk Drives: - "DMI SAMSUNG SP1203N IEEE 1394 SBR2 Device

an

SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices: - "SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 device

"" Formating Exact - I don't know why there's a 4 character space between DMI and SAMSUNG, or even why an Acomdata drive pops up as samsung in the first place. (someone on this newsgroup said Samsung was the manufacturer, but I haven't seen their name anywhere other than in my device manager, which, because we know it to be screwed up, I won't trust.

-When I manually uninstall the drivers for both of these listings (they read as the same XP Driver, of course,) they of course dissapear, but if I toggle the power on the drive while it is still attached to the computer, both items reappear with re-installed drivers.

-Here's what it looks like in Computer Management's Disk Management:

Disk
Basi
111.81 G
Onlin

It appears as 111.81 GB Unallocate

But this is in the "Graphical View" window only, the drive does not appear in the "Volume List" or "Disk List" windows

-When the drive is on and attached to the computer, I recieve the icon 'safetly remove hardware' which allows me to safely unplug the drive, which is strange, because on the drive's property page it says that the drive is set up for quick removal, rather than high proformance. This is not something that I set, I assume that it is a default option

-I have every update Dell offers, as well as every update MS offers. I have searched both MS's and Dell's knowledge bases extensively with what seemes like every word included in this post.

-I have followed the help instructions in your (Acomdata's) FAQ but was unable to access either the "write signature" or "initialize" commands. (They suggested I try these from the Disk Management aplication.

-I have followed every XP troubleshooters on all possible devices from all possible starting points. (there are merely the same 5 pages in different sequences

And nothing has worked

The drive is there, the coputer doesn't know what it is, but it know's its there. I know its full of my stuff, but the computer won't let me get to it.

It seems to have misinterpreted it as a different type of external drive, or, it is just doing its best to find a comperable one, and its not good enough.

When I first installed it (XP Pro) I never had to partition it, initialize it, or any troubleshoot or write signaturize it. It worked instantly, consistantly and quickly. What has changed since XP Pro

Please help me access my drive

Thanks in advance
Paul

G

I am having the same sort of troble with a Maxtor OneTouch drive on Firewire.
SBP2 Device with the same 5.1.2535.0 driver.
Windows XP Pro - get delayed write failed - drive letter then dropped from system ???

Ask a Question