External Hard drive

Reaction score
hi guys first post

anyway i bought an external hard drive um how does it work does it work like a memory stick shows icon on my commputer and can i unplug it its a usb 2.0

Reaction score
Should be able to plug and unplug it into USB post, if it fits of course ;)
and yes a small icon would appear in your my computer :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
External USB HDD

XP_Pro said:
hi guys first post

anyway i bought an external hard drive um how does it work does it work like a memory stick shows icon on my commputer and can i unplug it its a usb 2.0
Plug it in & make sure the external power supply is on. Check in my computer that it has been seen OK, if so start using it. I then save something to it as a test to make sure it's all OK.

When unplugging i normally turn the pc off before doing so, but yes you could power it down as you would a normal usb drive. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
You want to look after it well, it can be quite delicate some of the external hard drives, so be careful plugging it/unplugging it :D

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
You want to look after it well, it can be quite delicate some of the external hard drives, so be careful plugging it/unplugging it :D
Yes, forgot about that, i leave mine plugged into the usb port and then just turn the power on when i need to:thumb:

Reaction score
You should really use safely remove hardware if you are not powering the pc down.

Reaction score
I just bought an external drive last week. It is working a treat and I now use it to back up all of my PC in case things go wrong.

I see you have had a lot of good advice from other guys but one thing I would like to point out. Make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port to plug it into not a USB 1.1 standard or it will run dog slow.

As regards the functionality it just works like a damn big memory stick but I don't recommend unplugging it and shoving it in your pocket!!

Ask a Question