Extending Straight Lines - Powerpoint 2007

RGA

Ok - I have searched for a solution to this and from what little I can
gather there is not one yet so I was hoping someone here might have an
idea...

I try to extend an existing line in Powerpoint 2007 and I am unable to keep
it straight. I have tried holding shift or ctrl and it still won't stay
straight. This seems absolutely absurb as to why this capability is not
functional. If there anyone knows of a way to correct this I would certainly
appreciate it. I even have problems with making a new line straight but I
will need the functionality of editing existing lines as it is not even
prudent to go create all new ones especially if I can't make those straight
either.

Thanks for any help.

Michael Koerner

Make sure your version has been updated. I have no problem manipulating lines in 2007

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"RGA" <blahATblahDOTblah> wrote in message Ok - I have searched for a solution to this and from what little I can
gather there is not one yet so I was hoping someone here might have an
idea...

I try to extend an existing line in Powerpoint 2007 and I am unable to keep
it straight. I have tried holding shift or ctrl and it still won't stay
straight. This seems absolutely absurb as to why this capability is not
functional. If there anyone knows of a way to correct this I would certainly
appreciate it. I even have problems with making a new line straight but I
will need the functionality of editing existing lines as it is not even
prudent to go create all new ones especially if I can't make those straight
either.

Thanks for any help.

RGA

Hmm...that was the first thing I did (installed SP1 acnd checked for other
updates and the're weren't any)....still have the same problem and I have
seen where others out there are experiencing the same thing....strange.

[...]

Out of curiosity, are you using 2007 with Vista or like me the compatibility pack with XP

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"RGA" <blahATblahDOTblah> wrote in message Hmm...that was the first thing I did (installed SP1 acnd checked for other
[...]

I am using Office 2007 installed on Windows XP.

I thought the compatibility pack is only installed on those people's
machines that are using 2003 and want to open files created in 07.

If you are using 2003 with the compatibility pack, then that is why you
don't have that problem. The issue is with Office 2007.

[...]

I'm using XP and Office 2007 same as you. Your right about the compatibility pack. Which I had on my system before I installed Office 2007. I wonder if it left remnants when I installed 2007. Sorry I'm not much help

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"RGA" <blahATblahDOTblah> wrote in message I am using Office 2007 installed on Windows XP.

[...]

Echo S

One workaround is to press the Space button when creating the line -- this
"stops" the drag action.

Or, install this hotfix, which came out recently and fixes this problem
along with a couple others:

http://kbalertz.com/941658/Description-Office-hotfix-February.aspx

(Although the date on this hotfix says Feb 14, I swear, I think it was
released around the end of March. We've not been aware of it for very long,
I can tell you that.)

Beth Melton

Holding Shift should constrain the line to a straight line. I don't have
issues with this in PowerPoint 2007. Now, there is a bug that was recently
fixed for lines in PPT 2007 which is if you hold Shift and try to extend the
line it automatically sizes to the maximum width. Could this be what you are
encountering instead?

If so, here is a KB article with instructions on how to obtain the hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941658

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Joined
Feb 27, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
The lines in PowerPoint tend to go wonky when you try to shorten them. Once you make them longer they are easier to straighten out, but when they get shorter the line starts going sideways.

To fix make the line longer until it straightens out.

Right click on the line and select the "Format Shape" option. Within the "Format Shape" pop up box there is a "Size" tab. The "Size" tab opens the "Size and Rotation" options.

You're going to use the "Size and Rotation" options to shorten and straighten the line.

Drag the "Format Shape" pop up box over so that the line you want to fix is visible.

Click the down arrow on the "Height" option to make the line get shorter.

The line may start getting crooked again, so use the "Rotation" option to straighten it out; selecting the up and down arrows will make the line rotate in place.

By keeping the line visible you'll be able to shorten or lengthen the line with the "Height" option and straighten it out with the "Rotation" option.

Joined
Feb 27, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
For the instructions above, the "Height" option works to lengthen or shorten Vertical lines. The "Width" option works to lengthen/shorten Horizontal lines.