Explorer caused an Invalid Page Fault - shdoc401.dll

Amy

Whenever I try to create a new folder on the desktop or
in Windows Explorer (win98), I get the error
message "Explorer caused an invalid page fault." The
details reference file SHDOC401.dll. Once I close this
message window, I get the error window that
says "Microsoft INternet Explorer There was an interanl
error and one of the windows you were using will be
closed. I have un-installed and re-installed IE 6 SP1.
Any ideas?

Henri Leboeuf

Try solutions 1 and 3 first.

1)

This problem can be caused by an excessively long file
extension entry in the registry. To fix:
- Open Regedit (Start, Run, type "regedit" without the
quotes)
- Click on plus sign "+" beside HKEY_Classes_Root
- Scroll thru all the extensions (starting with ".")
- If you find a long one, right click on it and
click "delete"
- Continue checking thru all the extensions listed

Here is where the suggested solution
http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/1039.shtml see from Jim
6/20/02
Following the instructions I found three garbage
extensions in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, one was .dll_getpromo&ei=ec%
3bhotbar%.....,
another was {F74BD2FO-468B-4D98-8BDF-.........},
and the third was dll_getpromo&el=ec%3bhotbar%.....
I deleted those three and everything works fine!!!

However it looks like there is more to clean up than just
the above!
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/HotBar.html

==============

2)

From: "Matt O'Hara" <>
Subject: Re: shd0c401 error
Date: December 6, 2002 2:11 PM

I think that, with help, I figured this one out. Here's
what worked for me
(this assumes you can get to the Internet from the broken
system):

1. Using another machine, I downloaded the installer
for IE6SP1 from
Microsoft and saved it to a network location accessible by
the problem
machine (a floppy should also work).

2. Booted the machine to a Safe Mode Command prompt.

3. Changed directory to the Windows directory (type cd
\windows ).

4. Edit the file system.ini (C:\Windows> Edit
system.ini)

5. Find the line shell=Explorer.exe and change it to
read
shell=winfile.exe then save the file, exit the edit
program and reboot.

6. When the system comes up I now get the old-style
(windows 3.11, etc.)
file manager instead of Explorer as the desktop.

7. From here you I navigate to the location where the
IE6 installer was
saved and run it.

8. It re-downloaded IE6SP1 from Microsoft and
reinstalled it. I chose
"reinstall all" at a screen where I had that option.

9. After that finished I rebooted the machine, edited
system.ini again to
put the shell= line back to shell=Explorer.exe. My
customer was happy not
to have to reinstall Win98.

Matt O'Hara said:
Subsequent to Windows Update a Win98SE system will not come up in either
normal or safe mode. I think the update was to install IE6. The error is:
explorer caused invalid page fault in shd0c401.dll.

Any ideas?
===============

3)

I've found a solution: - IE repair tool.

Read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=194177

I ran:

For Internet Explorer 6, please use the following command:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program
Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall
Log.Txt"

This restored my system back to IE5.5 and Windows started
correctly. I was then able to reinstall IE6 and the latest
updates without a problem.

Henri Leboeuf
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm