Windows Vista .exe is not a vaild Win32 application

Reaction score
Hi, I am in a seriously angry state thanks to my computer at the minute.

Upon downloading any form of application or file, I am given the error message "XXX.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I have noticed that any images I download have the file size of 0kb, and that my antivirus software has somehow vanished.

The main problem is that it is even impossible for me to download my AVG again as the error message will appear after download. I think that some form of information in the registry or a file has been removed.
Please can someone give me some advice as to how to repair this problem?

I am certain that it is not an issue with my browser or the file I am downloading.
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Equium A120

Reaction score
Download Malwarebytes to a USB stick via another computer, restart yours in safe mode and install Malwarebytes, let it do what it has to do, hopefully it will sort the problem, when you have done that get rid of AVg and go for Avira if yu are going to use a free AV, its much better..

Reaction score
Neither are opening on this computer, I'll cram open another laptop and see if I can transfer in safe mode
Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you try the repair install option?

Another option would be to backup all your important files and then start from a clean install?

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't make any recovery disks. How can I repair install??
All files are backed up so I'm not worried about that

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if Toshiba use a recovery partition, the last time I used them there was a recovery DVD provided. However, if you check the manual it should confirm if a recovery partition is provided. A quick google shows that if you hold down the zero key before and while you power the unit on, it may load the recovery manager. :) This will reset Windows to it's factory state, removing ALL information on the laptop.

Reaction score
Try to repair your OS, and soon after repairing, restart the computer in safe mode and use malwarebytes and try to use Kaspersky Internet Security or Avira.
I am sure that when you repair your OS, it will solve the problem

Ask a Question