Exchange + IMAP accounts: can't send mails through SMTP

Reaction score
Hi, my title isn't explicit so I develop :
I administer an Exchange 2000 server with Outlook 2003 clients. Mailing features have to be available when working online (connected to LAN) as well as offline (through an Internet connection).
Since RPC over HTTP isn't available in Exchange 2000, I thought the best solution was to have an IMAP access to Exchange mailboxes.
This is the reason why each Outlook client has 2 mail accounts: Microsoft Exchange Server and IMAP. Actually, they refer to the same mailbox, but I created Send/Receive groups so as to synchronize Exchange account when online and IMAP account when offline.
This works fine except the fact that email can't be sent when offline : I noticed that Outlook was actually trying to send emails through Exchange account, although it is disabled in offline mode.
Note that my IMAP account works fine when no exchange account is added to the MAPI profile, so I suppose there is no problem with IMAP or SMTP settings. In this case, each created mail is stored in personnal folders outbox, whereas it is stored in Exchange outbox when an Exchange account exists.

Do you understand what's going wrong ?
Is it that the solution I described is wrong ? Is there a better way to send and receive mails through internet ?

Really thanks for help.

Last edited:

Ask a Question