Excel Excel Mouse Over?

Reaction score
My company is using an excel sheet to track times for the employees. They have two different groups looking at the times. One group just needs a total hours worked. The other group needs to know what projects were worked on during those hours. So for instance the employee may have worked from 0800 - 1700 (8 - 5) but worked on three different projects during that time frame. They would like to know if there is a way to essentially be able to move the mouse over the hours worked (0800 - 1700) and then a pop up screen shows a break down of the what projects were done during that time. Obviously we could just insert a comment but I think they are would like something a little more advanced than that.

Perhaps a macro that when you click on the start time pops up a box that the employee can enter information? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi pfostnat,

The comment in Excel does not capture data. If you normalize your spreadsheet (row one contains header information in each column, each row contains data) you can capture actual time for each project and represent either total hours worked or hours per project in pivot reports.

Stoneboysteve

Reaction score
Thanks Stoneboysteve (interesting name by the way). I will give a pivot table a try. They are currently using two excel sheets and would like to combine it to one. But if I can get one to populate the required data for the second form this may work.

Ask a Question