Excel Excel - How to select the last x entries in a column?

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this. I need to be able to select the last 12 (variable) entries in a column in an Excel worksheet. These entries need to be totalled and the average then worked out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If its just a simple formula then just insert =average(b4:b15) into a cell in column d2 , b4:b15 just hold the data you need to average ,this automatically adds then averages the data range ?? does this help ??

Attachments

• Doc4.doc
    72 KB · Views: 191

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Rush's formula would have to be entered manually if the range isn't always the same (ie column A has 32 entries, column B has 49 entries, column C has 101 entries etc.).

To have a macro do it automatically the first thing you would have to do is find the last populated cell in each column. After that you would have to count backwards to add the contents of the last twelve cells and then average them. The code could then be copied so that the macro would do that for every column that has data in it.

I'm sorry I don't know the code to do it, I just know it can be done and that's one way to do it :)

Ask a Question