Excel Excel formula needed

Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet where a column contains times, some of which are displayed in this format ie 1m 10.15 secs. How can I total a column which has these entries or is there a formula that will convert the entry into one than be totalled. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Fenchurch,

The format you show is a text string. When you say 'some' of the times are in this format, what are other formats that exist in the column?

Stoneboysteve

Reaction score
Thanks for responding...and quickly as well. The file itself is a download and the column is one of about 5. The column that I need help with contains the results of time taken to complete a task. Here is snapshot of the contents of the column. I need to be able to add up the column but in its current state the total displayed is, of course, inaccurate.67.77 secs69.67 secs69.71 secs69.83 secs1m 10.28s1m 10.51s
Many thanks!

Reaction score
Fenchurch,

Since the format is text, you will need to do some manipulation. If it were me, I would try to sort the column elements into groups and perform a text to column to decompose them. This will add a few columns, but once you get them into minutes and seconds you can start totals.

Stoneboysteve

Ask a Question