Excel Excel conundrum - I've tried and tried, but

Reaction score
I just can't find a way to achieve what I want to do!

I have a technical need and I’m looking to see if someone would be kind enough to help out a small golfing league. So, here’s want I want to be able to achieve:

An on-line (probably uploaded to google docs) league table of 11 teams

Each team has 3 pairs of players, so there are three matches in each team

There are 3 points available for each match

The scores can be either 3.0-0, 2.5-0.5, 2.0-1.0, 1.0-2.0, 0.5-2.5, 0-3,

The winning captain of each of the 11 teams must be able to log-in and input, for each match, the player names, match score and team score, after each match

Anyone should be able to view an (automatically generated, from the Captain’s input) league table

Notes
Every team has a match against the other 10 teams, once a year, during the winter

Matches are at home one year, then away (against the same team) next year, to even out home advantage

Could the name of each player in each of the three matches - and their match score - be shown?

The highest number of points, after all the matches are played, wins the league

If two (or more) teams have the same number of points, they share the trophy

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @BobHolman :)

I'm not sure what you are asking here - how to input the data? How to view the data? How to determine the league?

Reaction score
Hi Becky

Thanks for your response.

All of it really!

I can sort out the league matches via an online league fixture generator.

My problem, which I've not probably explained properly, is how do I set up, a google spreadsheet, so that different captains (of each team) can input results (possible in a diffferent tab?) so that a league table is automatically generated (in another tab?) for anyone to view (players of the teams etc).

But I also want to see the names of the players for each match result, so that everyone can see who is playing best, and also that our county captain can make some informed decisions about who to pick for the county team.

I hope this helps to clarify matters to you, and others?

Bob

Reaction score
Hi Becky

Thanks for the response. I've got the sharing bit sorted.

It's probably my explanation so, sorry about that - but basically I want to achieve:

A sheet where 11 team captains (and only them) can input the results of their just played matches.

There are three matches - two players v two players. So, 6 players per team.

After 18 holes of golf, a match can either be won (1 point), halved (0.5 point) or lost (0 points).

So, there being three matches, a team could earn the following points:

3 points (they win all three matches)
2.5 points (they win 2 matches and halve one, and their opposition halves one match)
2 points (they win two matches and their opposition wins one match)
1.5 points (they win 1 match and halve one match, and their opposition wins one match and halves one match)
1 point (they win one match and their opposition wins two matches)

I would like it that the players of each match should be named, so that a record of the best pairings can be established by each Captain. In addition, it would be good if the Captain of the County team (the County team is generally selected from the 11 teams in this league) so that he can see which players are more successful at winning at matchplay.

This sheet would automatically update another sheet (which anyone can view, so long as it is shared with them) which shows just the league table. All the team players would want to see how they are doing in the league table.

I've tried to uploaded an excel (.xlsx) spreadsheet (with two tabs) that is used currently, which is emailed around each captain, by the organiser of the league. It is a VERY clunky process as it's always out of date, as matches happen on different weeks. ......... However, your "upload a file" system gives me a warning " The following error occurred The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

This file is meant to show you what I want to achieve, but I can't do it. How else can I get this to you, so you can see it?

The league matches are generated each season by an online match generating website.

Hope this helps more?

Bob

Reaction score
Bob,

PMFJI, as a golfer I would be prepared to help. But I see this as a development project whereby through trial and error you desired requirements are met. This would mean direct assistance, corresponding by email and/or telephone, rather than trying to give instructions in the forum. Would you be comfortable with such a bespoke arrangement?

Also I would propose to use a Google Sheet with Google Drive Installed on your computer and editing access being given to the sheet to those whom you select to have such.

Let me know please if my solution would be of interest to you.

Malcolm

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm

Thanks very much for your response.

That arrangement sounds fabulous. I am familiar with google docs as I use it every day.

I'm trying to persuade the luddites that run the league to stop sending results emails round to everyone, but my plan was to come up with a solution first - and that's where I hit a wall!

Let me know how you want to proceed?

Bob

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks @MalcolmW! Let us know what you come up with here. I wish I could help but I think a lack of knowledge of golf combined with the fact I'm on strong painkillers for my back at the moment has turned my brain to mush! ;)

Reaction score
Let me know how you want to proceed?

As you are into Google Docs I take it you have a Google account and Google Drive is available with a Google Drive folder already available.

On the Internet open Google Drive and near top left click New | Google Sheets and a new untitled sheet opens. Click File | Rename and give the sheet a meaningful name.

Near top right click Share and in the dialogue type my email address - see your Inbox for correspondence.

At the pencil icon click the down arrow and select - Can edit | Done.This will give me access to your sheet to edit as we proceed.

At this point I must adequately brief myself from your earlier messages what you would wish to achieve. So further steps will follow in the near future.

Malcolm

Reaction score
Thanks @MalcolmW! Let us know what you come up with here. I wish I could help but I think a lack of knowledge of golf combined with the fact I'm on strong painkillers for my back at the moment has turned my brain to mush!

I can now visualize what is required, subject to seeing Bob's file that he wasn't able to upload. If we come up with an acceptable solution publishing it will not be possible because it will contain the names of at least 60 golfers, repeated 10 times for each match, of which there 110 per season, whose privacy would have to be respected.

Ask a Question