Excel 2013 vlookup to different workbooks not working

W

wcgates

I just had Office 2013 installed on my work laptop and having an issue withthe vlookup formula when linking the formula to different workbooks.
I follow the function step, but when I select the different workbook, I getan 'invalid' statement and the workbook name/path is incomplete; even though I selected the file/sheet and range of that workbook...here is what the formula returns:

=VLOOKUP(B5,'[YARDI Mapper (BIBLE)-06-10-2013....,3,false)

I even tried filling in the rest of the path manually and the formula stillhas an issue and will not complete the returned value.

I have researched the 'Options' area in Excel and looked online for other items related to this and unable to find a helpful answer.

I have been using this formula for 10 years; I am doing the same thing as always, unless Microsoft decided to change the way we use this formula in 2013, I cannot get my links to work. I'm ready to go back to a previous version of Excel if this is not fixable...any suggestions or help is much appreciated!!!!

Thank you
William

C

Claus Busch

Hi,

Am Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:05:26 -0700 (PDT) schrieb (e-mail address removed):
I even tried filling in the rest of the path manually and the formula still has an issue and will not complete the returned value.

open both workbooks. Write in the expected workbook =VLookup( B5,
and then choose "View" => Change Window => Select the other workbook and
select the range and complete the formula. You don't need the path. It
will be entered automatically when you close the referenced workbook.

Regards
Claus B.

W

William C Gates

Hi,

Am Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:05:26 -0700 (PDT) schrieb

Regards

Claus B.

--

Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2

Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

That is how I've been doing it. I've selected the area that I want, and it truncates the file name, sheet and the area selected.

H

hikaru.light90

Hi,

Am Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:05:26 -0700 (PDT) schrieb (e-mail address removed):

Regards

Claus B.

--

Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2

Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Thank you so much. I got trouble with this function in the new version of Office too and now I know how to fix it. I think nothing is perfect when it first issued so hope that MS will fix it and make it more convenient.

Hikaru

R

robertkallay

Thank you so much. I got trouble with this function in the new version of Office too and now I know how to fix it. I think nothing is perfect when it first issued so hope that MS will fix it and make it more convenient.

Hikaru

This is the way I have always used Vlookup across workbooks and it still does not work for me on Excel 2013, I can bring in a specific cells value from one workbook to another so it must be something with Vlookup?...thanks

M

maxlamenace75

Hello,

it seems I have no issue using vlookup formula across 2 workbooks.
What's the exact name of the involved workbooks?
Is there any point I am missing to reproduce your issue?

thx

Akim

Ask a Question