Excel 2003 save as .XLSX


C

Colin Hayes

HI

I'm using Excel 2003 and need to save a file as .xlsx so it can be read
in Excel 2007.

I'd like to add some VBA at the end of my macro to save the workbook in
this format. (myfile.xlsx)

Can someone advise if this is possible please?

Grateful for any advice.



Best Wishes
 
Ad

Advertisements

C

Colin Hayes

Excel 2007 can read .xls files - no need to save them as .xlsx which, so far as I
know, is not possible using Excel 2003


Thanks for getting back.

The issue is that I'm being asked to upload a file to a parser in xlsx
format. It's an automated upload system.

I'm wondering if it will accept my xls file with no issues?
 
J

joeu2004

Colin Hayes said:
I'm using Excel 2003 and need to save a file as .xlsx so it
can be read in Excel 2007.
I'd like to add some VBA at the end of my macro to save the
workbook in this format. (myfile.xlsx)
Can someone advise if this is possible please?

Colin Hayes said:
["Ron Rosenfeld said:
Excel 2007 can read .xls files - no need to save them as
.xlsx which, so far as I know, is not possible using Excel 2003
[....]
The issue is that I'm being asked to upload a file to a parser
in xlsx format. It's an automated upload system.
I'm wondering if it will accept my xls file with no issues?

There is no way for anyone to say for sure since you do not tell us the name
of the "parser" product, and even if you did, we probably do not know how
the "parser" works anyway.

There are other good reasons for saving an Excel 2003 file as .xlsx (or
..xlsm). Some of there are:

1. So that the file is not limited to 256 columns and 65536 rows when opened
in Excel 2007 or later.

2. So that formulas are not recalculated when the file is opened in Excel
2007 or later.

3. So that the user of Excel 2007 or later does not get needless warnings
when saving the modified file.

In order to save as .xlsx or .xlsm using Excel 2003, download the Office
Compatibility Pack. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526297.

Then you can use the following VBA code to save as .xlsx and optionally
close the file.

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"driveName:\fullPath\myfile.xlsx", FileFormat:=51
ActiveWindow.Close

(Of course, replace "driveName" and "fullPath" with appropriate names.)

That will automatically invoke the file converter in the Compatibility Pack.

However, that presumes that the macro is not part of the saved file (i.e. it
is in another workbook), or that you do not intend for the macro to be saved
with the file.

If, instead, you want to save the macro with the XL2007-compatible file, you
need to save with the extension .xlsm. Also, change the FileFormat to 52
instead of 51.
 
C

Colin Hayes

joeu2004 <[email protected]> said:
In order to save as .xlsx or .xlsm using Excel 2003, download the Office
Compatibility Pack. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526297.

Then you can use the following VBA code to save as .xlsx and optionally close the
file.

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"driveName:\fullPath\myfile.xlsx", FileFormat:=51
ActiveWindow.Close

(Of course, replace "driveName" and "fullPath" with appropriate names.)

That will automatically invoke the file converter in the Compatibility Pack.


Hi

OK Thanks for getting back. I tried this but without success ,
unfortunately.

I downloaded and installed

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3).

I changed my current VBA from

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:= _
"C:\My Documents\Spare\Zips\Upload
Files\Product_Upload_Ready.xls", _
FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False


To


ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:= _
"C:\My Documents\Spare\Zips\Upload
Files\Product_Upload_Ready.xlsx", _
FileFormat:=51, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False


and had no joy on running it. It gave errors I'm afraid. Any ideas how
to get this working?

Thanks.
 
S

Stan Brown

I'm using Excel 2003 and need to save a file as .xlsx so it can be read
in Excel 2007.

No, you don't. Excel 2007 and 2010 can read .xls files just fine.
And I'll bet 2013 can too, though I haven't tried it.
 
S

Stan Brown

The issue is that I'm being asked to upload a file to a parser in xlsx
format.

In that case, it was poor strategy to tell us you wanted to open the
files in Excel 2007.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

joeu2004

Colin Hayes said:
joeu2004 said:
In order to save as .xlsx or .xlsm using Excel 2003, download the Office
Compatibility Pack. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526297.
[....]
I tried this but without success, unfortunately.

I'm sorry: apparently that is __just__ SP3. It might presume you already
have the base Office Compatibility Pack. See
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3.

Similarly, if and when you get around to installing SP3, see
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27836 instead of the
KB that I pointed you to.
 
C

Colin Hayes

joeu2004 <[email protected]> said:
I'm sorry: apparently that is __just__ SP3. It might presume you already have the
base Office
Compatibility Pack. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id
=3.

Similarly, if and when you get around to installing SP3, see
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downlo
ad/details.aspx?id=27836 instead of the KB that I pointed you to.


Thank you for your kind help.

I did download and install these :

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack (FileFormatConverters.exe)

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3)

and also

Excelviewer.exe

It's just that I don't see anywhere within excel 2003 to save as xlsx if
I open a workbook and try to save in this format.

I tried also via VBA , and this too gives errors at the use of .xlsx as
a file type.

Having installed these compatibility programs , how to do I save in this
format form with excel 2003? I can't see any way at the moment. It's not
in the Save As dialog.
 
J

joeu2004

Colin Hayes said:
I did download and install these :
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack (FileFormatConverters.exe)
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3)
and also Excelviewer.exe
It's just that I don't see anywhere within excel 2003 to save
as xlsx if I open a workbook and try to save in this format.

Hmm, something is wrong. I don't know what it could be.

After I installed the Office Compatility Pack, .xlsx and .xlsm (et al) did
indeed appear in the choices in the Save As dialog box. I think this was
all automagic. I don't recall doing anything special. But it was a long
time ago.

The only thing I can imagine: do you have the Excel (or Office?) 2003 SP3
service pack?

If not, I would uninstall the Office Compatiblity downloads, update to Excel
(or Office) SP3, then re-download and install the Office Compatilibity
Packs.

If that does not work for you, you might SOL. At least, I am out of ideas.

PS: I would uninstall the Excelviewer. If you have Excel 2003, I cannot
imagine why you would need the viewer. I wonder if installing the viewer
after Excel 2003 is causing some confusion in what to load when you click on
an Excel file or otherwise start Excel. I don't know; I have no knowledge
of or experience with the viewer.
 
G

GS

<FWIW>
I installed the Compatibility Pack back when it was first available.
The Save/SaveAs options for v12 filetypes are added to the bottom of
the dropdown in v9/10/11 dialogs! (all have their respective latest
SPs)

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
 
Ad

Advertisements

C

Colin Hayes

joeu2004 <[email protected]> said:
Hmm, something is wrong. I don't know what it could be.

After I installed the Office Compatility Pack, .xlsx and .xlsm (et al) did indeed
appear in the choices
in the Save As dialog box. I think this was all automagic. I don't recall doing
anything special. But
it was a long time ago.

The only thing I can imagine: do you have the Excel (or Office?) 2003 SP3 service
pack?

If not, I would uninstall the Office Compatiblity downloads, update to Excel (or
Office) SP3, then re-
download and install the Office Compatilibity Packs.

If that does not work for you, you might SOL. At least, I am out of ideas.

Hi

OK I got it working. Phew.

I uninstalled these :

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack - FileFormatConverters

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility - ExcelViewer

and re-installed

Microsoft Office 2003 SP3

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack - FileFormatConverters

and

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Now when I open the Save As dialog there are several new options
including xlsx xlsm and so on. Tried them and they all work fine.
Hooray!.

Not quite sure what the issue was before , but uninstall / reinstall
seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again for your help.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top