Event ID 6004

MJW

Hello,

We have 2 workstations running windows 2000 that recently have had a lot of
errors in the event log popping up.
The error is as follows:

Event ID 6004
A driver packet received from the I/O subsystem was invalid. The data is
the packet.

I have seen this message on quite a few other workstations before, and did a
bit of research and it didn't look like it was going to affect anything.
The thing is, the error has within the last 5 days started appearing ten
fold in the event logs on the 2 workstations in question. It seems to
coincide with the workstations failing to connect to the network.
Can anyone shed any light on this error, is it going to affect anything? and
how we can remove it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt W

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

From your post I understand that your received Event ID 6004. If I have
misunderstood your concerns please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research we encountered this kind of issue before. Please
confirm if you have McAfee VirusScan installed especially McAfee VirusScan
8.0. If so, I suggest you attempt to uninstall all McAfee products
temporarily to isolate the issue.

Additionally, please boot the system into Safe Mode environment and test
the issue. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration,
disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display
adapter.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.
2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select Safe
Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

If the issue persists please let me know what happened before the issue
occurred.

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "MJW" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Event ID 6004
| Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:56:25 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Hello,
|
| We have 2 workstations running windows 2000 that recently have had a lot
of
| errors in the event log popping up.
| The error is as follows:
|
| Event ID 6004
| A driver packet received from the I/O subsystem was invalid. The data is
| the packet.
|
| I have seen this message on quite a few other workstations before, and
did a
| bit of research and it didn't look like it was going to affect anything.
| The thing is, the error has within the last 5 days started appearing ten
| fold in the event logs on the 2 workstations in question. It seems to
| coincide with the workstations failing to connect to the network.
| Can anyone shed any light on this error, is it going to affect anything?
and
| how we can remove it?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Matt W

rajni_pandey

Hi,

There are two causes of this error message.
1) NIC Crad
2) Virus Scan

I suggest you to apply the latest patch of McAfee VirusScan on your
system.

I am sure this would help.

Lemme know in case you have any more queries.

Regards,
Rajni Pandey