Event ID: 4005, Source: LPDSVC

Ron Halvorsen

Receiving an Event warning on our Windows 2000 Print Server (service pack 4)
that is also acting as a backup DNS server. Printing to seven HP 8100DN
network printers on Ethernet 100/full ports. receiving a "Request for
unsported print format received from ....... job may not print correctly".
Reloaded service pack 4, added different drivers (Post Script) and i am
still receiving this error. i do not remember if i had the error before
upgrading from NT 4.0 service pack 6. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron H

Laura Zhang [MSFT]

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your posting.

If I understand properly, when you tried to print to HP 8100DN network
printer, you receive the error message saying that "Request for unsupported
print format received from root: job may not print correctly."

To trouble shoot this problem efficiently, please perform the following
steps:

1. Change the data type to "RAW". The LPD service can be reconfigured to
ignore the format control command from the LPR client and always assign the
RAW datatype. Use one of the appropriate sections below to reconfigure the
LPD service. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

150930 LPD Server Adds and Prints Control Codes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=150930

2. Select "Print diredtly to the printer"

3. Apply the following changes in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\<printern
ame>\PrinterDriverData
Value Name: LpdPrinterPassThrough
Data Type: REG_DWORD
String: 1

Does it work now? If this problem continues, please check the Diver value
in the following registry key and ensure that it has the value
"localspl.dl":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windo
ws NT x86\Print Processors\winprint

The value was: Driver REG_SZ localspl.dl.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of
assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Laura Zhang