Ethernet Problems

G

I am trying to set up a small network between two PC for home use. Both PCs have ethernet cards that seem to be running fine. PCs are different from each other and so are ethernet card. Both icons for local area network say that the network cable is unplugged. HAve run through connection wizard, tested cables and all seem fine. Is their a problem btween different tyoes of ethernet cards?

B

BobC

I am trying to set up a small network between two PC for home use. Both PCs have ethernet cards that seem to be running fine. PCs are different from each other and so are ethernet card. Both icons for local area network say that the network cable is unplugged. HAve run through connection wizard, tested cables and all seem fine. Is their a problem btween different tyoes of ethernet cards?

Direct NIC to NIC ethernet connections require a "cross over" ethernet
cable. A straight thru cable will not work.

G

If I have straight thru cat 5 cable and rj45 baluns for attaching to type can i get away with not buying another cable

B

BobC

Ask a Question