Estending the time until "Not Responding"


M

microsvc

I would like to know if theres a way to extend the time that vista waits
before assuming that an application has prematurely Not Responding. Theres
several programs on my system that take a while to load, and the program goes
into not responding mode prematurely. Thanks for all your replies.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GTS

See the HungAppTimeout registry key under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop\ key. The value (default is 5000) is milliseconds to wait.

See link below which references Windows 2K but seems to be the same in XP
and Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/34637.mspx?mfr=true

The "Ultimate Windows Tweaker - Tweak UI For Windows Vista" can also adjust
this in the System and Performance item although it's slowest setting may be
the 5000 millisecond default.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html
 
M

microsvc

The TweakUI slider is already at "slow", and the microsoft technet page
doesnt help me. Theres no entry in the registry called HungAppTimeOut.
Please advise. Thanks!
 
G

GTS

Strange. That key is in my Vista registry. I can see it with an Admin
account, not elevated. You probably would have to elevate regedit to change
it. Are you sure you didn't miss it? The lines could be used to create a
..reg file and import it (from an elevated command prompt).
I would be cautious though. I don't know if there are any implications to
increasing it beyond the normal 'slow' default. Also, I'm not sure what you
mean by "goes into not responding mode prematurely." Will these programs
(what are they?) eventfully load alright if you wait?


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"

--
 
M

microsvc

Many programs. My email app, Photoshop, IE when the page has a lot to
render, misc others.
My CPU is a 3400mhz/2gb memory, so it's not that. Theres no Viruses or
adware or malware.
I do run regedit elevated administrator. The entry is not there, the list
is alphabetical.
To create it, I can do New, but is it a dword, key, string...?



GTS said:
Strange. That key is in my Vista registry. I can see it with an Admin
account, not elevated. You probably would have to elevate regedit to change
it. Are you sure you didn't miss it? The lines could be used to create a
..reg file and import it (from an elevated command prompt).
I would be cautious though. I don't know if there are any implications to
increasing it beyond the normal 'slow' default. Also, I'm not sure what you
mean by "goes into not responding mode prematurely." Will these programs
(what are they?) eventfully load alright if you wait?


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"

--

microsvc said:
The TweakUI slider is already at "slow", and the microsoft technet page
doesnt help me. Theres no entry in the registry called HungAppTimeOut.
Please advise. Thanks!
 
G

GTS

It's a string.

microsvc said:
Many programs. My email app, Photoshop, IE when the page has a lot to
render, misc others.
My CPU is a 3400mhz/2gb memory, so it's not that. Theres no Viruses or
adware or malware.
I do run regedit elevated administrator. The entry is not there, the list
is alphabetical.
To create it, I can do New, but is it a dword, key, string...?



GTS said:
Strange. That key is in my Vista registry. I can see it with an
Admin
account, not elevated. You probably would have to elevate regedit to
change
it. Are you sure you didn't miss it? The lines could be used to create
a
..reg file and import it (from an elevated command prompt).
I would be cautious though. I don't know if there are any implications
to
increasing it beyond the normal 'slow' default. Also, I'm not sure what
you
mean by "goes into not responding mode prematurely." Will these programs
(what are they?) eventfully load alright if you wait?


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"

--

microsvc said:
The TweakUI slider is already at "slow", and the microsoft technet page
doesnt help me. Theres no entry in the registry called HungAppTimeOut.
Please advise. Thanks!

:

See the HungAppTimeout registry key under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop\ key. The value (default is 5000) is milliseconds to
wait.

See link below which references Windows 2K but seems to be the same in
XP
and Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/34637.mspx?mfr=true

The "Ultimate Windows Tweaker - Tweak UI For Windows Vista" can also
adjust
this in the System and Performance item although it's slowest setting
may
be
the 5000 millisecond default.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html

--

I would like to know if theres a way to extend the time that vista
waits
before assuming that an application has prematurely Not Responding.
Theres
several programs on my system that take a while to load, and the
program
goes
into not responding mode prematurely. Thanks for all your replies.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PaulM

I have a script here to extend the HangTime to 10000.
http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=171&p=322#p322
Give it a try. If you need more then 10000, let me know I will make it what
ever you want.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
---------------------------------------
www.paulsxp.com

Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
--------------------------------------------
www.paulsxp.com/forum

Live Support
------------------
www.paulsxp.com/livesupport.html

GTS said:
It's a string.

microsvc said:
Many programs. My email app, Photoshop, IE when the page has a lot to
render, misc others.
My CPU is a 3400mhz/2gb memory, so it's not that. Theres no Viruses or
adware or malware.
I do run regedit elevated administrator. The entry is not there, the
list
is alphabetical.
To create it, I can do New, but is it a dword, key, string...?



GTS said:
Strange. That key is in my Vista registry. I can see it with an
Admin
account, not elevated. You probably would have to elevate regedit to
change
it. Are you sure you didn't miss it? The lines could be used to create
a
..reg file and import it (from an elevated command prompt).
I would be cautious though. I don't know if there are any
implications to
increasing it beyond the normal 'slow' default. Also, I'm not sure what
you
mean by "goes into not responding mode prematurely." Will these
programs
(what are they?) eventfully load alright if you wait?


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"

--

The TweakUI slider is already at "slow", and the microsoft technet
page
doesnt help me. Theres no entry in the registry called
HungAppTimeOut.
Please advise. Thanks!

:

See the HungAppTimeout registry key under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop\ key. The value (default is 5000) is milliseconds to
wait.

See link below which references Windows 2K but seems to be the same
in XP
and Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/34637.mspx?mfr=true

The "Ultimate Windows Tweaker - Tweak UI For Windows Vista" can also
adjust
this in the System and Performance item although it's slowest setting
may
be
the 5000 millisecond default.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html

--

I would like to know if theres a way to extend the time that vista
waits
before assuming that an application has prematurely Not Responding.
Theres
several programs on my system that take a while to load, and the
program
goes
into not responding mode prematurely. Thanks for all your replies.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Not Responding??? 3
Not responding.... 5
Not Responding ! 5
Not Responding 9
Not Responding 1
XP Until 2010. 15
responding computer 8
Netzero not responding 0

Top