ERUNT

CatThief

I don't know if this freeware program was ever recommended here in the
past, but I find it absolutely indispensible on a WinXP system.

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

ERUNT - Registry backup and restore for Windows NT/2000/XP. Registry
export is useless on NT kernel-based systems since the files cannot be
simply copied while they are in use, and the included "Backup" and
"System Restore" programs only work if these same programs are used
to restore the files. ERUNT will copy your critical system files in their
original form to any location you specify. ERUNT also supports command
line switches.

Regards,
CatThief

?

- * -

I don't know if this freeware program was ever recommended here in the
past, but I find it absolutely indispensible on a WinXP system.

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

ERUNT - Registry backup and restore for Windows NT/2000/XP. Registry
export is useless on NT kernel-based systems since the files cannot be
simply copied while they are in use, and the included "Backup" and
"System Restore" programs only work if these same programs are used
to restore the files. ERUNT will copy your critical system files in their
original form to any location you specify. ERUNT also supports command
line switches.

Regards,
CatThief

I get the message: "Your current security settings do not allow this
file to be downloaded."

Booger!

CatThief

- * - wrote...
I get the message: "Your current security settings do not allow this
file to be downloaded."

Gosh, Booger, what kind of armour do you have? <grin> I'm using The
Proxomitron plus CookieCop with no trouble at all. I even have the referrer
switched off in my (Mozilla Firebird) browser. Let me guess... you are
using Internet Explorer?

CatThief

?

- * -

- * - wrote...

Gosh, Booger, what kind of armour do you have? <grin> I'm using The
Proxomitron plus CookieCop with no trouble at all. I even have the referrer
switched off in my (Mozilla Firebird) browser. Let me guess... you are
using Internet Explorer?

CatThief

Tain't fair, McGee! ...lookin' over my shoulder like that...I do
indeed use IE...and the Proxomitron, too...

Howsomever... I ain't about to lower my security settings for a site
unknown to me...and I do have to wonder why this is the only site I've
run up on where I receive this message...?

Roger Spencelayh

Tain't fair, McGee! ...lookin' over my shoulder like that...I do
indeed use IE...and the Proxomitron, too...

Howsomever... I ain't about to lower my security settings for a site
unknown to me...and I do have to wonder why this is the only site I've
run up on where I receive this message...?

FWIW, I' running IE6 through Proxoitron on Windows 2000 Server. No
problem here.

kalynuik1

I get the message: "Your current security settings do not allow this
file to be downloaded."

Booger!

By chance Booger are you running Microsoft Internet Explorer, and if so
check, Internet Options, Security, Custom Level, then scan down a little
ways until Downloads-->File Download (Enable/Disable) <-- Should be Enable.

Somehow this setting was tripped to disable for me only yesterday, I do
not know how, but I had the same message as you when I went to download
something, I wish I knew what triggered the change.

But I hope this helps.

Kingtut1

John H.

Ok, folks, ERUNT and ...?
Downloaded, installed and ran ERUNT, so my windows registry is saved.
Here's the question: I seem to remember the old ERu in WIndows 98SE saved
copies of other files as well. System.ini Win.ini were two of them, there
were more. In addition to the registry, what equivalent files should I be
saving in Windows 2000 Pro? Is there a freeware util that does this? If
not I can whomp up a batch file that will do it.

With best regards, John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

CatThief

John H. wrote...
Ok, folks, ERUNT and ...?

Both the systemroot\System.ini and systemroot\Win.ini files are not
required by Windows XP and are maintained only for compatibility with
older software that does not use the registry to save settings. You can just
copy them to some other location while you are running XP. ERUNT is
mainly a utility for copying the system files that are otherwise inaccessible
for copying while running XP. I assume the same applies to Win2K. The
"readme" at
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt
will explain more.

For a freeware backup utility, you might try BatchRun from
http://www.outertech.com/
(click on Products at the top)

Regards,
CatThief

Boomer

Ok, folks, ERUNT and ...?
Downloaded, installed and ran ERUNT, so my windows registry is
saved. Here's the question: I seem to remember the old ERu in
WIndows 98SE saved copies of other files as well. System.ini
Win.ini were two of them, there were more.

Did you read this from his site?
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt
In addition to the
registry, what equivalent files should I be saving in Windows 2000
Pro?

Maybe ask in a Win 2000 group such as:
microsoft.public.win2000.registry
Is there a freeware util that does this?

Hopefully someone here can answer the above for you.

John H.

Hello, CatThief!
You wrote on Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:11:12 -0500:

??>> Ok, folks, ERUNT and ...?

C> Both the systemroot\System.ini and systemroot\Win.ini files are not
C> required by Windows XP and are maintained only for compatibility with
C> older software that does not use the registry to save settings. You can
C> just copy them to some other location while you are running XP. ERUNT
C> is mainly a utility for copying the system files that are otherwise
C> inaccessible for copying while running XP. I assume the same applies
C> to Win2K. The "readme" at
C> http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt
C> will explain more.

C> For a freeware backup utility, you might try BatchRun from
C> http://www.outertech.com/
C> (click on Products at the top)

C> Regards,
C> CatThief
Thank you. I'll check it out.

With best regards, John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)