Error Message:

Navyguy

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running IE8 with XP, SP3 , Windows
Firewall, Avira antivirus, Spybot (for updates only), Spywareblaster,
ATF and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and are
up to date.

Today, I received this message:

Files\Content.IE5\TV4YU8MI\video ByTag [1].aspx is corrupt and
unreadable.

It suggested to do a CHKDSK , I did so but it never gets past 1 of 3
and seems to be in a loop. Is this normal? How long should I let it
run?

Everything else ‘appears’ to be running ok for the present but should
I be concerned?

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

Tim Meddick

The file is in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder and, as such, can be
safely deleted.

This may go a long way to solving the problem, and may allow CHKDSK to run
normally.

To delete the contents of the "Temporary Internet Files" folder, open
Internet Properties (either from in the Control Panel or from Internet
Explorer's menu bar - "Tools" > "Internet Options" ).

Then, in "Internet Options", on it's first "General" page, click on the
"Delete Files" button in the middle "Temporary Internet Files" section.

In addition, do you run CHKDSK at next PC startup?

That is; you get a message saying that the drive is in use and would you
like to have CHKDSK run the next time the computer starts-up?

Have you tried running CHKDSK from a Command Prompt by typing :

CHKDSK C: /R

....and answering [Y] when asked if you want CHKDSK to run at next boot (if
the drive is currently in use). Starting CHKDSK using the [/R] switch from
within Windows, will scan for, and try to recover data from bad sectors.

Or maybe, do you run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console (probably not) but it
may be another option for you to try....

You can "install" the Recovery Console, so that it will appear as a
Start-Up Menu Item on the Boot-Up Menu list of Operating Systems after
pressing F8 at boot...

You can "install" the Recovery Console by inserting the "installation" /
"recovery" XP cd-rom (if you still have it) and then typing the following
into the "Run" box on the Start Menu ;

D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

....where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter (follow the on-screen instructions).

After installing the RC as a start-up option, you can reboot the PC and the
XP Start-Up Boot-Menu should appear, select "Microsoft Recovery Console"
and log-on - just pressing [ENTER] when asked for a Administrator password
(unless an Admin password has been specifically set by yourself).

Then run CHKDSK from within the RC by typing a similar command to that used
in Windows :

CHKDSK C: /P

....using [/P] instead of [/f] as you would in Windows.

You can leave the PC to finnish CHKDSK's 3-part cycle - even if it takes up
to two hours - as Windows is not running in the background, it should have
a better chance of completing.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running IE8 with XP, SP3 , Windows
Firewall, Avira antivirus, Spybot (for updates only), Spywareblaster,
ATF and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and are
up to date.

Today, I received this message:

Files\Content.IE5\TV4YU8MI\video ByTag [1].aspx is corrupt and
unreadable.

It suggested to do a CHKDSK , I did so but it never gets past 1 of 3
and seems to be in a loop. Is this normal? How long should I let it
run?

Everything else ‘appears’ to be running ok for the present but should
I be concerned?

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

Unk

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running IE8 with XP, SP3 , Windows
Firewall, Avira antivirus, Spybot (for updates only), Spywareblaster,
ATF and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and are
up to date.

Today, I received this message:

Files\Content.IE5\TV4YU8MI\video ByTag [1].aspx is corrupt and
unreadable.

It suggested to do a CHKDSK , I did so but it never gets past 1 of 3
and seems to be in a loop. Is this normal? How long should I let it
run?

Everything else ‘appears’ to be running ok for the present but should
I be concerned?

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

That is in the Temporary Internet Files folder.
You can delete the folder from the "General" Tab of "Internet Options" in the Control Panel.

Better yet, download and install the Bleachbit Cleanup Utility (Freeware)
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download/windows

TIP: Do NOT check the box "Free disk space". If you do, you'll need another shave before it
finishes. There's no need to wipe the free space unless the FBI wants you.

Paul

Navyguy said:
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running IE8 with XP, SP3 , Windows
Firewall, Avira antivirus, Spybot (for updates only), Spywareblaster,
ATF and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and are
up to date.

Today, I received this message:

Files\Content.IE5\TV4YU8MI\video ByTag [1].aspx is corrupt and
unreadable.

It suggested to do a CHKDSK , I did so but it never gets past 1 of 3
and seems to be in a loop. Is this normal? How long should I let it
run?

Everything else ‘appears’ to be running ok for the present but should
I be concerned?

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

"Everything else appears to be running ok"...

"Troubleshooting Disks and File Systems Published: November 03, 2005"

"Do nothing.

For a mission-critical computer that is expected to be online 24 hours
a day, doing nothing might be a necessary choice. The drawback to this
option is that relatively minor corruption can become major corruption
if you do not repair the volume as soon as possible after you detect
the corruption. Therefore, consider this option only if keeping a system
online is more important than the integrity of the data stored on the
corrupted volume. You must consider all data on the corrupted volume
at risk until you run Chkdsk."

So while everything may be running OK now, it might not be running OK later.
If a second fault occurs, and chkdsk isn't in a runnable state, you'll
have no weapons at your disposal.

While there are things I could suggest, they could all have
consequences. So I'm going to stop right there. The thing is,
I've been waiting for years, for a viable alternative to chkdsk
to come along, but there is still nothing I can confidently recommend
as a recipe.

The last corruption I had, where chkdsk wouldn't finish, I copied
all the data off (it was a data partition only), and it was fine.
I was very lucky. Things could have turned out a lot worse. Working
on C: is worse, because many operations require rebooting, and there
is always a danger that the system will never come back up again
(gets stuck). There is no sense scheduling chkdsk on C: , or
setting the dirty bit, because of the danger you might not be
able to finish the reboot when you try. You need an insurance
policy, like backups, to make such efforts worthwhile. If you
didn't have backups, and had to "roll the dice" with chkdsk,
that would be risky. Especially as you have evidence chkdsk
is going to get stuck already!

You can try copying the files off C: , but to do that, you
need another OS (to solve the "busy file" problem). I
have two Windows OSes on my current computer, for this reason.
The second OS is for maintenance boots. I use Robocopy, to
copy files from one disk to another, and by booting the second
OS, I can work on my WinXP C: without having any files
refuse to copy because they're busy.

If you only own one OS, there are tools like this, but I
don't know anything about them. I do know they exist :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBCD4Win

Paul

Navyguy

This is what I've done:

I've deleted the temporary files via Internet options and also used my
AFT cleaner.

When I restarted the computer Chkdsk was already running when it came
up. This may have been because I had started it on the User account
but didn't take effect until I went to the Administators account? In
any case, it had already started and I let it run for (3) hours but it
never gets past 1 of 3. So I decided to end it as it seemed to still
be in a loop.

However, it wouldn't let me cancel the Chkdsk and I had to do the F8
procedure twice before it let me escape from Chkdsk and I was able to
logon.

Additionally, the same error message keeps popping up:

MSNMSGR.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
\Content.IE5\TV4YU8MI\video ByTag [1].aspx is corrupt and
unreadable.

In passing, didn't mean to imply when I said everything was ok that
there wasn't or possibly a serious issue. Rather I was trying to give
you all the information possible to address the problem.

So my question is

Paul

Navyguy said:
[...]

I wonder if you can run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console (where the
file system wouldn't be busy), use the /V option for verbose output,
and get more info that way ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Since this is a Dell, then the next task, would be figuring out how
to "install the Recovery Console". Since I have a real WinXP install disc,
I can just boot that into the Recovery Console (MSDOS-like environment).
I don't need to install the Recovery Console, because it's available
by booting the installer CD I've got. But if you didn't have an installer
CD, then you'd want the Recovery Console to be installed as a (boot-menu)
option.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

"type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter
for the CD drive."

If the machine had a properly populated i386 folder, you could install
using that command.

This article, suggests a Dell disc can be used to boot to the
Recovery Console (and from there, you could run chkdsk /V on
the non-busy C: partition, and see what it says).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19289338.aspx

Paul

Peter Foldes

Have you tried to delete it manually ?

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Mayayana

| If you only own one OS, there are tools like this, but I
| don't know anything about them. I do know they exist :)
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBCD4Win

I've used the latter. It provides useful things like being
able to edit the Registry. The one time I needed the
partitioning tools they didn't seem to be much good.
I think the typical drawback with this kind of thing is
the tendency to fill it with open-source shovelware
and then brag that it has "hundreds of utilities!!"...
No documentation, not much of value, but hundreds
of utilities.

On the bright side, I can't edit the Registry with
Microsoft's misnamed Recovery Console. :) So UBCD
is worth having.

Navyguy

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.http://www.microsoft.com/protect

[...]

So my question is- Hide quoted text -

I did try to find it manually to delete it but I couldn't find the
Local Settings entry,..

In any case this is what has happened. I let Chkdsk run all night and
it still did not get past 2 of 3 and so I decided to end it by
resetting the computer. Since I couldn't end Chkdsk normally by
hitting any key and it seemed to be in a loop I thought at this point
that my hard drive had crashed or that I had an unrecoverable error. I
tried hitting F8 numereous times and logon in nomally and last logon
where the setting were successful but it went right back to the
Chkdsk. So I decided to install a new drive (I have an extra) but
during the initialization I had to hit a F8 to continue and it
wouldn't function. So I put the oringinal drive back in and changed my
keyboard. Then I was able to logon in Safe Mode and I did a System
Restore and it 'seems' to have taken care of the problem because after
I did that it broguht up the screen to logon as User or Administrator
which is the first time it's done that in two days.

In passing, while changing the drives I noticed that some of the cards
(that hold the speaker, monitor plugs) were loose however even after I
pushed them in tight the problem still existed, still it may have had
some connection with the problem.

However the problem could still be present and I'm just not aware of
it? Although the keyboard I'm using now works I need to upgrqde it
when I can to replace the old one that obviouly went bad on me.

Thoughts/Suggestons?

Robert

Navyguy

[...]

Robert- Hide quoted text -

A final update, I've been online for several hours now with no error
messages popping up. I was able to re-start my computer and go to the
Administrators account and checked for updates and then created a
restore point. I then restarted it and signed into the User account
and all 'appears' normal. I ran an Avira scan and it looks good with
no hidden objects, warning’s or suspicious files found whereas before
it had 270+ hidden files.

To surmise, hopefully I deleted the problem in the temporary files and
that the loose cards in the computer and bad keyboard added to the
complexity of the issue. In any case, the problem seems to be
hopefully resolved. If not, I will start another post.

Thanks,
Robert

Tim Meddick

If you can now run CHKDSK successfully, I would do so with regularity -
it's *not* running CHKDSK regularly that allows such disk errors to build
up and often end up causing a major obstacle...

==