error message when using windows mail

ms

I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail. I keep getting
the following error. I followed the instructions given by the aol website to
the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Dave N9

Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per.......
http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6
These instructions for OE will work for Windows Mail.

Also, make sure "My server requires authentication" is checked.

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"ms" wrote in message

I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail. I keep
getting
the following error. I followed the instructions given by the aol website
the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

ms

It worked. Thank you so much!!!! It worked. If I change the account from
IMAP to POP, will it work now because the port has been changed?

Thank you so much. I'm so happy!

Dave N9

To access your account using POP3 instead of IMAP, you will have to setup a
new account in WM. You just can't change the server.
I'm not sure if AOL still provides POP3 access, but this link shows the
settings....
http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolmail/f/AOL_Mail_POP3_Settings.htm

"ms" wrote in message

It worked. Thank you so much!!!! It worked. If I change the account from
IMAP to POP, will it work now because the port has been changed?

Thank you so much. I'm so happy!

ms

Okay. Thank you very much for your help.

.