Error installing Vista on New Homebuilt

alrasl

Tried to install Vista 64bit. I'm able to boot up Vista only when I pu
my DvD drive as first in the BIOS boot priority. Vista loads up, ask
for CD-Key, asks me to select hd partition, and then when it starts t
install i get this error:

-Windows cannot access the required D:\sources\install.wim. Make sur
all files required for intallation are available, and restart th
installation. Error code: 0x800701e7-

I put the DvD into my old rig and searched for this file on the Vist
DvD and it was found immediately. I made sure I installed the SAT
drivers before trying to install, and that made no difference. I'm al
out of ideas. I have my newly built computer all hooked up and ready t
go, and can't install my OS... im about to freak out. Please - i nee
some help.

System Spec:

Mobo: Asus P5Q P45
CPU: Intel E8400
GPU: Asus EAH4850 (Asus version of the ATI 4850)
RAM: Corsair Twin2x PC2-6400 DDR2 800 (4gb)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA 3.0g/s
DvD:Samsung 22x DvD Burner SATA
PSU: Raidmax Aurora 2 600w
OS: Vista Home Premium 64bit (w/ SP1

alrasl

After fooling around with it for a long time. I got the install to begin
working properly. Previously I would get the orginal error message
(refer to op) immediately at the start of the "Expanding Files" part of
the install. Now it started working fine, but then eventually crapped
out around 65% and I got a new error message:

-Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or
missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available,
and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570-

Ian D

alrasl said:
After fooling around with it for a long time. I got the install to begin
working properly. Previously I would get the orginal error message
(refer to op) immediately at the start of the "Expanding Files" part of
the install. Now it started working fine, but then eventually crapped
out around 65% and I got a new error message:

-Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or
missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available,
and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570-

To eliminate the possibility of problems with the Vista DVD, try
copying the DVD on your other PC. If the copy is successful,
use the copy for the installation.

You say you've already eliminated the DVD player as the source
of the problem, but aren't sure about the hard drive. Have you
run diagnostics from the HD manufacturer? Also, have you run
a memory test, or, at least, swapped the DIMMS?

alrasl

--
alrasl-

To eliminate the possibility of problems with the Vista DVD, try
copying the DVD on your other PC. If the copy is successful,
use the copy for the installation.

You say you've already eliminated the DVD player as the source
of the problem, but aren't sure about the hard drive. Have you
run diagnostics from the HD manufacturer? Also, have you run
a memory test, or, at least, swapped the DIMMS?

I tried running a diagnostics on the hdd, but the computer won't even
recgonize the drive. It's basically like attempting to run a diagnostic
on something that isn't plugged in. Already sent it in to RMA.

I'm willing to try copying the DvD onto this PC, and then using that
copy to install. But you'll have to tell me what software I'll need to
use for that. Currently I don't have any DvD ripping or burning
software.

Paul Montgomery

I tried running a diagnostics on the hdd, but the computer won't even
recgonize the drive. It's basically like attempting to run a diagnostic
on something that isn't plugged in. Already sent it in to RMA.

I'm willing to try copying the DvD onto this PC, and then using that
copy to install.

Can't do that. The "copy" referred to was a DVD copy.

bluefin

The Vista DVD might be using UDF 1.2 bootable. One way is to burn it
into another DVDR using ISO9660 Joliet bootable format.

R. C. White

Hi, alrasl.

My mobo (EPoX MF570sli, an AM2 board about 2 years old) and BIOS allow me to
press <Esc> during POST to select a this-time-only boot device. In the
BIOS, I set the HDD I want to use as the boot device, then use <Esc> during
the reboot to select the DVD just to run Setup. After the initial stage,
when Setup copies all the files, the computer restarts, booting from the HD.
Does your BIOS allow such flexibility?

My 2 DVD burners are both IDE, so I don't need SATA drivers during this
initial phase. (I do need to install SATA drivers for my HDDs from a floppy
when I'm installing WinXP, but not when installing Vista because it has
drivers built in.)

Are you sure that all required SATA features are activated in your BIOS?
Unlike IDE, which usually has just 2 channels with 2 devices each, you
probably need to activate each SATA connector that you will use. Since each
BIOS is different, I probably can't help you further on this - except to
suggest that you carefully read the motherboard manual. Even that might not
be enough; my BIOS is much newer than my manual, so some screens don't match
what is in the book. I have to study each screen for clues to learn what to
turn on or off on each one. Since my mobo has built-in RAID, I also have to
make sure those features are properly activated - or not.

Are you using a retail package of Vista, or an OEM version? Did it come
with your mobo? Did you download it from MSDN and burn the DVD yourself?
Tell us more about the DVD you are using. You've told us about your DVD
drive, but not about the disk itself.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

alrasl

I bought an OEM version of Vista Home Premium 64bit from Newegg. It did
not come in combination with my mobo or any other parts.

Paul Montgomery

I bought an OEM version of Vista Home Premium 64bit from Newegg. It did
not come in combination with my mobo or any other parts.

Doesn't matter.

There is no difference between an OEM (System Builder) disc and an
upgrade disc or a full-retail disc. With Vista, they are identica.

The difference lies in the Product Key.

Paul Montgomery

Stupid question probably but is your Intel E8400 64bit capable ???

You're right: it was a stupid question. Took me maybe 5 seconds to
Google "Intel E8400" to get the answer that it is.